The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

What is the university of liverpool like?

I am applying for uni in december and liverpool is one that I really like for psychology. Unfortunately I have missed the open days so can only judge it on a campus tour. It is far for me travel and I'm not completely sure I can get the grades to go there so I don't know whether it's worth it. Just wanted peoples' opinion about what the uni is like overall and the course?
Reply 1
I know lots of people who do psychology and they all love it, psychology is a big department here so you will have lots of support from staff and course things to join in on. Have you been to a tour yet? If not the uni runs mini campus tours almost every week so email someone from the university to arrange a time to come and see the campus

Posted from TSR Mobile
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Reply 2
Original post by sloths
I know lots of people who do psychology and they all love it, psychology is a big department here so you will have lots of support from staff and course things to join in on. Have you been to a tour yet? If not the uni runs mini campus tours almost every week so email someone from the university to arrange a time to come and see the campus

Posted from TSR Mobile

Since I've missed the open days this year, I will probably be going on a campus tour at some point. Do you know if there is anyway for me to view all the accommodation because I don't want to apply if I haven't seen the accommodation.
Reply 3
I went to the open day and Liverpool is where I've applied for psychology! And i got a conditional offer!! Anyway, i loved Liverpool! The city is amazing and full of life. The accommodation is new, and right on campus so you are just around the corner from lectures and student union. Everybody seems very friendly including the lecturers . psychology is a massive department!
Reply 4
Original post by daisyfx
I went to the open day and Liverpool is where I've applied for psychology! And i got a conditional offer!! Anyway, i loved Liverpool! The city is amazing and full of life. The accommodation is new, and right on campus so you are just around the corner from lectures and student union. Everybody seems very friendly including the lecturers . psychology is a massive department!

That sounds great! Did you get a really good impression from the open day then? The course is probably the best I have seen for psychology but obviously having not gone to an open day I'm not sure whether to apply. Just wondering, how long after you applied did you start getting offers?
Abit unrelated but what is the life sciences department at liverpool like? Is the quality of undergrad teaching any good? I cant decide between liverpool and cardiff o study molecular biology (liverpools a better area as cardiff feels isolated to me but cardiff does better on all the statistical measures?).
Original post by MrFantastisch
Abit unrelated but what is the life sciences department at liverpool like? Is the quality of undergrad teaching any good? I cant decide between liverpool and cardiff o study molecular biology (liverpools a better area as cardiff feels isolated to me but cardiff does better on all the statistical measures?).

Currently studying Biological Sciences and I'd say the department is very good! The lecturers are excellent and the modules are really great. If you have any more questions let me know :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
it is such an awesome place, i have been there a few times and did my work experience there and the facilities are excellent as are the lecturers :smile:
Reply 8
Liverpool was my first offer and i received it about a day after applying! I think its a nice place to be , good night life, brand new accomodation(etc). The open day was very busy and the tours were packed so i wandered about by myself. I saw the libary which had ,i think about three floors and is open all day . student union was modern and included alot of places to eat and hang out. Psychology department was big and had alot of information about their research. I would reccomend, if u cant make an open day, going to the online open day on their webaite :smile: good luck!
Original post by meg_lou
That sounds great! Did you get a really good impression from the open day then? The course is probably the best I have seen for psychology but obviously having not gone to an open day I'm not sure whether to apply. Just wondering, how long after you applied did you start getting offers?
hi im thinking of doing the foundation biological sciences at liverpool. whats the uni like and what is the course like. i'm stuck between nottingham and liverpool :I
Original post by Changing Skies
Currently studying Biological Sciences and I'd say the department is very good! The lecturers are excellent and the modules are really great. If you have any more questions let me know :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by meg_lou
I am applying for uni in december and liverpool is one that I really like for psychology. Unfortunately I have missed the open days so can only judge it on a campus tour. It is far for me travel and I'm not completely sure I can get the grades to go there so I don't know whether it's worth it. Just wanted peoples' opinion about what the uni is like overall and the course?

I went to Liverpool and did psychology in September and I left at Christmas, and I was trying to transfer to somewhere else about a month into the course!

I made the mistake of visiting on a random day because I had missed open days/applicant days too. I really wish I had been able to look around the department because it isn't that great. The staff aren't too enthusiastic, and the PhD students are better teachers than the ones with experience.

The course starts off simple, really quite dull if you have done psychology A level. It does suddenly get a lot more complex with nothing explained particularly well by lecturers. You will be scanned into every lecture but then they don't seem to check up on this. There's a lot of research methods and statistics in 1st year which is similar at a lot of unis but some try to spread it out a bit, Liverpool throws it all at you straight away.

Personally I wasn't a fan of the city as I felt unsafe, but some people loved it. It has good nightlife if that's your thing, as well as plenty of shops and restaurants. It's a cheap place to live as well. I lived on campus and everyone in the halls at Carnatic and Greenbank was quite jealous as they sounded awful to be honest. The campus was ok, it's not quite in the city centre but it has plenty of places to eat and supermarkets very close. 2nd and 3rd years tend to live on Smithdown Road with isn't a particularly safe area. Some live in the city centre but it's more expensive.

As for the grades, for psychology it's usually ABB but I know so many people last year that got in with much lower as the course was in clearing. It's also quite common to still be let in if you don't quite make your offer so that they can fill the course up.

Hope this helps!
I want to study film studies at Liverpool uni. What's that department like? Also, what are the societies like?
Original post by JustATheory
I want to study film studies at Liverpool uni. What's that department like? Also, what are the societies like?

I can't tell you specifically about the department (although I do know that Film Studies is housed in Modern Languages, so I would expect a lot of international based modules), but I can tell you about societies, and life at the university in general. What would you like to know?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending