The Student Room Group

Whatever I do, I can't seem to bring up my grades! Help!

I work incredibly hard. I am in my 4th year right now and am working towards grad school. However, no matter how hard I work, I will still only get high 60s / 70s. I do work outside class atleast 5 hours a day on weekdays and 8-10 hours on weekends and Fridays. I study 10 days before each test and exam. I start projects 2-6 weeks ahead of time (depending on the project) and I never procrastinate. I also have a daily daytimer app where I plan out every hour of my day. I find it easier to do well on objective tests (e.g science and stats) than the subjective papers. Basically, that is where I struggle. But it seems every proff / TA wants something different and some mark incredibly hard. Any advice? I am getting desperate.. I have even been the my Uni's writing centre for help multiple times!

Also, urelated but I know this is better in the "study help" section but it wouldn't let me post there
Original post by pianoplaya94
I work incredibly hard. I am in my 4th year right now and am working towards grad school. However, no matter how hard I work, I will still only get high 60s / 70s. I do work outside class atleast 5 hours a day on weekdays and 8-10 hours on weekends and Fridays. I study 10 days before each test and exam. I start projects 2-6 weeks ahead of time (depending on the project) and I never procrastinate. I also have a daily daytimer app where I plan out every hour of my day. I find it easier to do well on objective tests (e.g science and stats) than the subjective papers. Basically, that is where I struggle. But it seems every proff / TA wants something different and some mark incredibly hard. Any advice? I am getting desperate.. I have even been the my Uni's writing centre for help multiple times!

Also, urelated but I know this is better in the "study help" section but it wouldn't let me post there

I've just started uni, but this is what i'm worrying about too, I haven't had any assignments marked so I have no idea yet

Do you ever go to your lecturers' office hours?
Ask them for specific feedback and note it down
never ask about how to get your grades up because I think it annoys them
and if you don't understand what they mean by something ask, e.g. if they give a generic statement like include more critical thinking, ask for advice on how to do that
Really find a way to get the processes of learning and studying or writing essays etc.
and place less importance on the actual content and memorisation

what subject are you doing btw?
Original post by pianoplaya94

certainly in the humanities at least high 60's/70's are very good marks- for many professors the effective cap is 80 in humanities unless work is absolutley exceptional so totally different in that respect to science/stats where you can get marks in the 80's 90's & even 100 sometimes. But to get even better marks its just as much about working smart as working hard- as a simple example someone who spends 5 hours writing an essay but is critical will get a better mark than someone who agonises over it for 10 and writes a descriptive piece in the end. I'm Not Really Me has given excellent advice on how to understand how to work smarter.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by ImNotReallyMe

never ask about how to get your grades up because I think it annoys them
and if you don't understand what they mean by something ask, e.g. if they give a generic statement like include more critical thinking, ask for advice on how to do that

I have always found lecturers very receptive to students who are actively seeking to improve. However, it does help if you can go with specific questions, rather than just a "how can I do better?"

Firstly OP, make sure you read their feedback on assignments which you get back. That should give pointers for improvement next time. If you don't understand the feedback or you don't understand how to implement the suggestions, those would be good questions to ask as well.

However, I would echo what Jelly1000 has said - in the UK, your marks would be the equivalent of a high 2:1 or First. If you were chasing a First then you'd be looking to get over 70% routinely, but you aren't far off. It really depends on the system where you are.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending