The Student Room Group

Did anyone do Geography at A-level?

I'm self-studying A-level Geography through the Cambridge International Examination board - what board did you follow? What were your grades and any tips on how to best revise for it?

Also how would you answer the broader questions worth 6 marks, 8 marks and 10 marks?

Example of questions: 1. Suggest reasons for declining fertility rates in many countries (6 marks)
2. Using a diagram, explain how the Earths atmosphere is heated during the daytime. (8 marks)
3. How far do you agree that the main causes of food shortages are economic? (10 marks)

Reply 1
:bump:
Reply 2
obviously someone did it. I'm sure they didn't create the entire course just for you to take it
Reply 3
Original post by jlsmpV2
obviously someone did it. I'm sure they didn't create the entire course just for you to take it

Haha very funny. But I'd rather you keep your humour to yourself and comment if you have something productive/related to say.
Reply 4
Original post by hilrho
Haha very funny. But I'd rather you keep your humour to yourself and comment if you have something productive/related to say.

you're
Reply 5
I did AS Geography (Edexcel) and I'm now doing A2. In my opinion the CGP guide was a massive help to me, but i'm guessing they don't have one for your specification. So the best thing to do is to find a good revision guide and make notes from it, then do past papers. It's nearly all content-based isn't it? :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by jlsmpV2
you're

uh no. it's your humour, not "you're" as in 'you are' humour as you suggested.

whatta fail.

Original post by Azula
I did AS Geography (Edexcel) and I'm now doing A2. In my opinion the CGP guide was a massive help to me, but i'm guessing they don't have one for your specification. So the best thing to do is to find a good revision guide and make notes from it, then do past papers. It's nearly all content-based isn't it? :smile:

Hey thanks for posting :smile: Yeah no they do have a revision guide but i'm confused as to how to gain the maximum amount of marks and how to approach the questions differently as it doesn't say so in the revision guide. How would you tackle the above questions?
I did AQA and got an A last year, I used past paper questions but feedback from teachers was vital for my improvement tbh so I can't help too much. I also made powerpoint slides to answer 40 markers
Reply 8
If anyone done OCR geography gcse could you kindly look at my recent post thank you
Reply 9
Original post by hilrho

whatta fail.

Hey thanks for posting :smile: Yeah no they do have a revision guide but i'm confused as to how to gain the maximum amount of marks and how to approach the questions differently as it doesn't say so in the revision guide. How would you tackle the above questions?

I just made notes tbh, I would make developed points depending on the amount of marks, with explanations and examples if necessary :P
Reply 10
Original post by hilrho

whatta fail.

I'm an edexcel gcse geographer, but I've answered the a similar question to first one (about death rates) before:

On 6 mark questions, I would give 2 to 3 reasons and elaborate on them with case study detail - remember to link the reason to your answer (e.g. women are more focused careers these days ; want to have children later on ; less likely to have a lot of children; decreases fertility rate .
Reply 12
Original post by AyCaramba
I did AQA and got an A last year, I used past paper questions but feedback from teachers was vital for my improvement tbh so I can't help too much. I also made powerpoint slides to answer 40 markers

Problem is I'm completely self-taught and I can't assess my own work. Do you think you could perhaps recall the different approaches they suggested you take when it comes to answering a question worth 6 marks vs 10 marks?

Original post by loki123456
I'm an edexcel gcse geographer, but I've answered the a similar question to first one (about death rates) before:

On 6 mark questions, I would give 2 to 3 reasons and elaborate on them with case study detail - remember to link the reason to your answer (e.g. women are more focused careers these days ; want to have children later on ; less likely to have a lot of children; decreases fertility rate .

Hey thanks for your post. That was helpful insight into how I could answer a 6 mark question but how do you think I should answer a question worth 8/10 marks though compared to that?
Original post by hilrho
Problem is I'm completely self-taught and I can't assess my own work. Do you think you could perhaps recall the different approaches they suggested you take when it comes to answering a question worth 6 marks vs 10 marks?

Hey, thanks for your post. That was helpful insight into how I could answer a 6 mark question but how do you think I should answer a question worth 8/10 marks though compared to that?

Personally, I haven't done any questions above 6 marks. You could perhaps post your answer to those type of questions on TSR and people could give you an idea how many marks you would get and how to improve (at least that's better than nothing).

You could try my method for 8 and 10 mark questions (4 or 5 reasons) if you want something to work with.
Original post by hilrho

Hey, thanks for your post. That was helpful insight into how I could answer a 6 mark question but how do you think I should answer a question worth 8/10 marks though compared to that?

Personally, I haven't done any questions above 6 marks. You could perhaps post your answer to those type of questions on TSR and people could give you an idea how many marks you would get and how to improve (at least that's better than nothing).

You could try my method for 8 and 10 mark questions (4 or 5 reasons) if you want something to work with.
Reply 15
Original post by loki123456

Righteo, thanks for your input!

Quick Reply

Latest