The Student Room Group

Advice about teaching.

Which subject teachers get the fastest promotions?

For example, it more likely for an English teacher to become a Head Teacher than an RE teacher.

Which is most rewarding?

Spanish Teacher (more likely)
History Teacher (more likely)
English Teacher
Original post by Cal1999
Which subject teachers get the fastest promotions?

For example, it more likely for an English teacher to become a Head Teacher than an RE teacher.

Which is most rewarding?

Spanish Teacher (more likely)
History Teacher (more likely)
English Teacher

There's no rule about this. There might be more opportunities for promotion in a large faculty as a greater number of responsibility roles might exist.

The second question is like asking "Which is best? Honey or jam?".
There's no answer. It depends on how many people leave, or are internally promoted.

:s
Reply 3
Plus, not everyone wants promotion. I wouldn't want to go any further than Head of Department, for example, as I think it takes time with the kids away from you. So the opportunity for promotion may be there - but the willingness may not be.
Anyone can potentially become a headteacher, and there really is no advantage for any discipline.

If you want to be a Head of Department, probably Spanish? Less competition. You may even be the only Spanish teacher.
I don't know if it is a coincidence, but most of the headteachers I have worked with have been history teachers. Perhaps the close study of how megalomaniacs rise to power helps them in some way. Who knows?
Reply 6
Dear all,

Thank you very much for all of your helpful and encouraging advice.

It is most appreciated.
Male of any subject in primary school will have the fastest promotions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending