The Student Room Group
Reply 1
doesn't change?

I mean the distance between to stationary objects surley can't change, do you see your walls moving:s-smilie:?

Or am I missing some deep philosophical/physical reasoning?
Reply 2
All 4 answers.

- Firstly, WTF indeed. What motivated you to ask this?! (4)
- If these two people are close to each other, then gravity will eventually pull them together. (3)
- If they are further from each other, the expansion of space will increase the distance between them. (2)
- If these two effects are similar, I guess you won't see much happen for a while. So (1). However, if you define these people as staying in "same location" relative to each other by, for example, them holding two ends of a rigid metre rule, then also (1), because you are defining the distance between them to be constant.
Reply 3
There is only one correct answer. As this is from a university-level exam paper. Well besides the last option obviously.
Reply 4
What university asks this kind of (multiple choice??) question in a physics exam? The University of Obscurity? Is this even physics?

What do you think the answer is? And why?
Reply 5
How is this not physics?

I am guessing 2. the distance can change - because the universe is expanding, so they may eventually move apart if they stay in the same location forever? But on the other hand the universe could collapse.

But I may be wrong.

This is a physics course for laymen, not a mathsy one.
Reply 6
The question isn't specific enough, basically. I'd say (2) because it's the one that's true in the most general case. What a crap question though.
Reply 7
Reply 8
Worzo
- If these two people are close to each other, then gravity will eventually pull them together. (3)

How does that work?
Reply 9
Abra
How does that work?

Umm...because of Newton's law of gravity? Two massive bodies attract each other with a force "proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to their separation"
It is ruled out by the 'stay in same location and dont move' criterion though.

Expansion of the universe? Does that involve movement?

Latest