Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

urgent! matrix help!

Announcements Posted on
Study Help needs new mods! 14-04-2014
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    let A =

i need to find a 5x5 matrix M with rank(M) = 2 that AM = 4X5 zero matrix.
    I thought of finding the inverse of A at first, but A is not a square matrix!!! i got stuck... help pls thanks!

and for any 5X5 matrix B such that AB = 0 then rank B <= 2. how can i prove this?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    For the first bit, since rank(M) = 2 why don't you try:

M = \begin{pmatrix} a & b & c & d & e \\f & g & h & i & j \\0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \end{pmatrix}?

Then you could sub it in AM = 0 to find relations on a-j and just choose any old matrix that works.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    omg are you saying i have to multiply that all out and solve for it? is there a proper way of doing it?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    That is the proper way of doing it. Pick any two linearly independent solutions of the system Ax=0. Then let B be the matrix whose first two columns are the solutions, and fill the remaining columns with zeros.

You can do the second bit easily if you know the following inequality. If A is an mxn matrix, and B is an nxp matrix, then
    rank(A) + rank(B) - n <= rank(AB)

(Try to justify it by drawing a diagram or something, if you don't feel like proving it carefully.)

So in this case,
    3 + rank(B) - 5 <= 0
    => rank(B) <= 2

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: March 28, 2007
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.