The Student Room Group

BPP law school vs top ranked universities

Hello.
I am international student looking for undergraduate study law in UK. I have applied to University of Durham/Nottingham/East Anglia/Leicester and Leeds. However i heard about BPP Law school which claims to have 1/3rd lawyers of UK graduated for this university and links with leading law firms. And above all the tution fees is very low as compared to the other univs in my list. (Much affordable for me) All these figures are tempting me to apply to BPP.

What do you think guys? Is BPP a good law school keeping the employment factor in view?
A third of lawyers graduated from BPP because they did the GDL, LPC or BPTC there. Probably less than 0.01% of lawyers in the UK did an LLB there (discounting the GDL top-up that they flog as an LLB).
Reply 2
Original post by Ibii97
Hello.
I am international student looking for undergraduate study law in UK. I have applied to University of Durham/Nottingham/East Anglia/Leicester and Leeds. However i heard about BPP Law school which claims to have 1/3rd lawyers of UK graduated for this university and links with leading law firms. And above all the tution fees is very low as compared to the other univs in my list. (Much affordable for me) All these figures are tempting me to apply to BPP.

What do you think guys? Is BPP a good law school keeping the employment factor in view?

From an employment perspective, Nottingham, Durham etc are much more well respected at undergrad level

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Don't do it! If you get an offer from Nottingham or Durham take those.

It's depressing enough doing the LPC at BPP.

Notwithstanding the fact that an undergrad degree from Notts or especially Durham holds more weight, you will have a much better overall uni experience at one of the normal universities as apposed to being surrounded constantly by wannabe lawyers.
Reply 4
Is it not worth to go to BPP? I am just tempted because it is very cheap.
Reply 5
Original post by Ibii97
Is it not worth to go to BPP? I am just tempted because it is very cheap.

If money is a big factor for you then fair enough but as others have said, the other unis are better respected at undergraduate level and promise a better student life than BPP

Posted from TSR Mobile
I partially agree with the Forum User. BPP is a private university, which means they don't have public funded research opportunities. It is lacks campus life, postdoc fellows faculty and is mostly suited for mature students (over 25). A lot of the people I know who studies at BPP already have an undergraduate degree. I am going to play devil's advocate here. I graduated from a top 30 university (times higher education ranking), but the job opportunities were few and far in between. I studied the LLB at BPP and had 3 law firms invites and 2 intern opportunities during my first year. I completed several pro bono projects with 2 of the solicitors at Magic Circle firms and had the opportunity to meet a partner at A & O during my second year. My equity and trust tutor is a PhD candidate from Oxford (in clinical negligence). With that being said, I think it is safe to say that you won't get into any of the Magic Circle/ Silver Circle firms unless your first undergrad is from Oxbridge/one of the top Uni within the Russell Group. However, there are plenty of in-house/boutique law firm positions which you can fill competently and you can slowly work your way up to the Magic Circle firms (if that's what you wanted). I also know a Barrister from Canada who has completed her LLB at BPP. Continuing education is a must for someone who have done their LLB at BPP. But depending on what you want to do (IP, M&A or corporate), you can probably go to a more elite school for your Masters and make up for the "entry level" training in the legal industry. The con of studying at BPP should not be ignored, the administration of the university is uber complex and not necessarily helpful. BPP's association with the University of Phoenix (US) should not be overlooked.
Is this even a serious question? BPP is only a university in name.
Original post by Toomuchcoffee
With that being said, I think it is safe to say that you won't get into any of the Magic Circle/ Silver Circle firms unless your first undergrad is from Oxbridge/one of the top Uni within the Russell Group.

I know someone who did her LLB at BPP (with no previous degree), got a very bog standard 2:1, and still managed to get a TC at Herbert Smith, so it isn't safe to say that at all. Perhaps you just meant that it will be difficult to get into those firms.

[I am not suggesting the OP choose BPP over Durham etc].
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Ibii97
Hello.

What country are you from, and where do you want to work after graduation? If you want to return to your home country, you need to check that a BPP LLB would allow you to practice in that jurisdiction (it wouldn't in my country).

I would be inclined to go with the schools on your list as they're more established choices (especially Notts and Durham), and depending on which jurisdiction you want to work in, their reputation might hold more sway.
Reply 10
India.
Original post by Ibii97
India.

India has a list of UK universities that "count", The university has to make the effort to register. Moreover for those that registered after a date in 2008 they only count if an LPC and training contract are undertaken immediately afterwards.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Ibii97
Hello.

Do not do an LLB at BPP. If you go there, employers will assume that it was because you couldn't get into the Russell Group universities you've mentioned.

BPP issue a lot of confusing spin about their graduates. Many City lawyers have gone to BPP, but they did so in order to do the required GDL/LPC courses after finishing their undergraduate studies at traditional universities. BPP is nobody's first choice for undergrad.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending