The Student Room Group

Accidental offer from a uni?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nulli tertius
The stats appear to show very high levels of employability, but as is often the case with language courses, relatively low starting salaries.

Most unusual languages have greater demand than supply of graduates.

I choose to never belief any statistics that a university puts out on employment. They have a vested interest in sucking up those student loans and spitting out factory produced grads. Don't be so naive as to wholeheartedly trust such information. Unless you have contacts or plan on moving to South Korea, you're taking a big gamble.
Original post by marco14196
I choose to never belief any statistics that a university puts out on employment. They have a vested interest in sucking up those student loans and spitting out factory produced grads. Don't be so naive as to wholeheartedly trust such information. Unless you have contacts or plan on moving to South Korea, you're taking a big gamble.

I am not taking a gamble at all. I am not applying for this course.

Whilst university employability information has weaknesses (but not the weakness you are alleging that the data has been corrupted) far too many people make university choices based on anecdotal impressions of employability that bear no relation to the actual position.
Original post by EloiseStar
Countless other posts say the same this as what I did.

There might be safety in numbers, but you will not necessarily find truth in numbers. The people who occupy this board are largely AS or ex-poly students: they are not people who can offer significant insight.
Reply 43
Original post by nulli tertius
And the number of graduates in Korean Studies working in investment banking can probably be counted on the fingers of no hands.

Only one of which, Oxford, offers a degree in Korean.

Trust me, I do not want to do banking. I can't even do maths! And Oxford doesn't do a degree in Korean, they have an Asian Studies degree which has certain modules but has no way near the amount of language teaching I'd like.
Reply 44
Original post by marco14196
Eh I suppose it may be useful if you wanted to be a translator of documentation or for some South Korean officials otherwise its use is extremely narrow at best because only one country practices it as a language(contrary to popular belief, South and North Korea both use different variations of the base language). Good luck I guess, that would have been a useful degree if it was combined with something more useful like an Engineering course

Thanks, but no thanks. I'm doing this degree because I want to learn about a subject I'm passionate about, not for job prospects. I'd rather spend £9,000 a year on something I love rather than something that bores me just for the money.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending