The Student Room Group

I have no idea how to make my credit score better.

So I just applied for a student account with Santander online and I almost immediately received an e-mail saying that I was rejected after they consulted with the CRA.
I also applied for a high interest % credit card with Nationwide a month back and was immediately rejected there too.

I just checked on CRM and my credit score is 533 and they score me at 1/5.
If I don't rent, I don't pay bills, I don't have any phone contracts and so on, how am I supposed to make myself an eligible candidate for a student bank account?
Get a low monthly (like £10 p/m) phone contract. Your problem is that because you don't have that much of a credit score, they don't know whether you trust you. You can't get credit because you've not had much before.

I started with an under 19s account with Lloyds. It was then changed to a current account, then a student account. I applied for a phone contract whilst at uni. I've applied for various types of credit since I was 16 and have never been rejected since.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by belalbenfadhel
So I just applied for a student account with Santander online and I almost immediately received an e-mail saying that I was rejected after they consulted with the CRA.
I also applied for a high interest % credit card with Nationwide a month back and was immediately rejected there too.

I just checked on CRM and my credit score is 533 and they score me at 1/5.
If I don't rent, I don't pay bills, I don't have any phone contracts and so on, how am I supposed to make myself an eligible candidate for a student bank account?

Firstly make sure you are on the electoral role. Then as OU Student said get a cheap phone contract- you can get sim only deals if you don't want to switch phone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending