The Student Room Group

Minkowski space

Hi! I have to make a project called Minkowski space and i don't know exactly what should include in. It's very complicated what i've founded about Minkowski space on google and it's beyond my means...could you suggest me what should i refer to?? some ideas?? and i want to know if there are practical applications of Minkowski space and also why is it important..
Original post by Mary23
Hi! I have to make a project called Minkowski space and i don't know exactly what should include in. It's very complicated what i've founded about Minkowski space on google and it's beyond my means...could you suggest me what should i refer to?? some ideas?? and i want to know if there are practical applications of Minkowski space and also why is it important..

For what level is this? I think if you post this in the maths forum you might get better responses as the subject is also taught in applied mathematics courses.
Original post by Mary23

Did an extended project on this. Minkoski space is basically a mathematical model for four dimensional space-time. Link it to like time dilation, general relativity or black holes?
Yeah you can model phenomenons in special relativity like time dilation using Minkowski spacetime diagrams. However I think there are other kinds of spacetimes in general relativity so maybe don't use Minkowski spacetime in general relativity.
It's used in special and general relativity as space-time is a four dimensional, non euclidean space. So has applications in stuff like GPS.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending