The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

St. John's College 2016 Applicants thread

This is a thread for anyone applying to St. John's College, Cambridge this year. Feel free to introduce yourself and what subject you are applying for, and to ask any questions you have about the application process.

Hopefully this thread will enable you to make some contacts which may help to make the interview day a little easier and calmer.

I will go ahead and introduce myself first. I am applying for maths this year, and I have always wanted to go to Cambridge as I grew up there as a child. I really loved St. John's when I looked around it on the open day and the DoS was really friendly!

Scroll to see replies

I am an American student applying for maths at St. John's. I visited Cambridge Open Days this summer, and I also really loved St. John's.

Are there any other Americans applying to St. John's this year? Also, has anyone received an interview invitation yet, and, if not, when do you expect applicants will be notified?
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 2
Hey guys, I applied to St Johns as well. I haven't received any email giving me specific information about the applicant portal from St. John. When do we get this email? And after how long do they call us for intervies??
Reply 3
Original post by Pokepal02
Hey guys, I applied to St Johns as well. I haven't received any email giving me specific information about the applicant portal from St. John. When do we get this email? And after how long do they call us for intervies??

Don't worry about it, happened to a lot of people (including me). It will come in due time, hopefully they realise that it hasn't been sent out yet, but it won't be an issue as most people don't seem to have theirs. Interviews usually come in around late November, but some colleges hand them out earlier (St. Cats and Pembroke have given some interviews out). I have not yet heard of any Johns applicant being offered an interview though.

May I ask what subject you applied for?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by amberdoodle16
I am an American student applying for maths at St. John's. I visited Cambridge Open Days this summer, and I also really loved St. John's.

Are there any other Americans applying to St. John's this year? Also, has anyone received an interview invitation yet, and, if not, when do you expect applicants will be notified?

Nice to meet you! Are you applying to other American universities as well? It is a beautiful college!

As I said earlier, you can expect invitations to come out late November, possibly slightly earlier.
Hi, Daughter has applied for Music at St John's and other than an initial email and an email to say SAQ received she has not had anything.

Anyone else applied for a subject where they will need to send essays etc and not had a request?
Yes, I am also applying to various American universities: several state universities and a few Ivy League universities. Cambridge is my top choice though! :smile:
Reply 7
My son is applying from the US to St. John's as well. :smile:
Original post by gsckmom
My son is applying from the US to St. John's as well. :smile:

I'm happy to hear that there are more students applying from the US! :smile: What course is your son applying for?
Reply 9
Original post by amberdoodle16
I'm happy to hear that there are more students applying from the US! :smile: What course is your son applying for?

Maths. You?
Reply 10
Original post by gsckmom
Maths. You?

Oops.. just noticing that you already said -- also maths!

Best of luck!
Original post by gsckmom
Oops.. just noticing that you already said -- also maths!

Best of luck!

Thanks! Best of luck to your son as well!
Reply 12
Seems like a bit of a trend here, I'm also applying to John's for maths :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Bruhh
Seems like a bit of a trend here, I'm also applying to John's for maths :smile:

Nice! Hopefully some of us can meet up on the interview day :smile: Hopefully there are not too many of us though :O
I am from Northern Ireland and I am applying to St John's to do Computer Science!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Hey I'm from scotland and I've applied for Mech Eng.
Reply 16
Hey guys, I'm from Scotland and I've applied for Mech Eng. :h:
Hi St. John's applicants! I'm applying for Asian and Middle Eastern studies (with a focus on Arabic) - I feel a bit out of place amongst all you mathematicians. I come from the Netherlands, and I had a question:

For the written work, seeing as you get a maximum of 8 pages, is it better to send an extract of an essay just cutting off after a paragraph or would it be better to take the intro, few body paragraphs and the conclusion, leaving out some details in the middle?

My work is just much longer than 8 pages and I don't know whether to keep in the conclusion or to just show them the beginning and the middle.
Thank you and I hope to see you all in December! (fingers crossed!!)
Reply 18
Applied for Economics. Maybe picked a bit too aspirational of a college cause my UMS isn't genius level but I feel like the interview will be the strongest part of my application if I get one.
Good luck to all!
Reply 19
Original post by Haderz
Applied for Economics. Maybe picked a bit too aspirational of a college cause my UMS isn't genius level but I feel like the interview will be the strongest part of my application if I get one.
Good luck to all!

Hope it goes well. Where have you applied to? What are your UMS overall?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest