The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Acaila
How was the Oxbridge Conference? I'm going to the afternoon one in Glasgow on Friday. Scared as I'll be all alone :frown:

It was OK and reasonably useful - there is the opportunity to ask questions to admissions people from both Unis which was good. Though the speeches may not tell you much new if you have already digested a prospectus!
Reply 21
Mine's completely digested :frown:. Ah well I get to go shopping at least :s-smilie:
Reply 22
AboveMyChamberD
Advanced Highers are harder than full A-Levels, because they're nothing like as popular ergo there isnt as much support materials/teaching resources/etc., also they haven't been "dumbed down" to the same extent and so mostly only exceptional candidates do very well in them (as opposed to Highers, SGs and A-Levels where a candidate of middling-ability can do well through exam technique)
An Advanced Higher is (roughly) equivalent to 1st Year at a Scottish Uni, but because english degrees are usually only 3 years, AHs are necessary for entry, in a way in which they aren't for Scottish Unis.
Correct, so far? Are there any other relevant points to be made

The main reason AHs(Science ones at least) are WAY more difficult than A-levels is that the majority of your grade is taken from your final exam result whereas A-Level grades are based on course work and continuous assesment (which is re-sit-able!) from across the two years! This is why it is really shocking that some English Unis don't acknowledge SQA Appeals - this is the scottish system's only equivalent to the re-sit so why shouldn't it count? Relatives and people I'v met at open days in England can walk into the final exam and only need a D in that exam to get and A over-all!

SHOCKIN!! (But it does mean we're all much better prepared for University...:smile:
Reply 23
I would say Higher to AH was a much bigger jump than S-Grade to Higher. I enjoyed my AHs (Maths, Applied Maths, Physics & Computing) much more than my Highers in the same subjects. Much more scope to learn about the subject, rather than just what you needed for the exams. And I liked the fact that I could choose pretty much whatever I wanted to do for the physics investigation and the computing course work. Think AHs prepare you much better for University because you have to do quite a bit of the work yourself (i.e. don't have a teacher telling you exactly what to do). Just my 2p...!
Jenn xx
Reply 24
poulanck
This is why it is really shocking that some English Unis don't acknowledge SQA Appeals - this is the scottish system's only equivalent to the re-sit so why shouldn't it count?

How do you know that they are not acknowledged?

I am quite positive taht they are by the majority of Uni's. Were you referring to Oxbridge?
Reply 25
I'm taking Advanced Higher English and Advanced Higher Modern Studies this year .... Mod studs - I'm the first pupil to ever do it at my school and the only one in the class, english - again first pupil - 2 of us in the class.

It looks like it'll be a lot of work. Does anyone have any advice for either of these Advanced Higher subjects?
Don't slack for either. Especially English as at Advanced Higher your folio pieces actually mean something! (third of your grade last time I checked). And for Modern Studies, it's good that you have an interest in politics otherwise rememebering facts and not understanding to a large extent what you're talking about isn't gonna get you anywhere! I'm a science person myself but my brother did those subjects. Good Luck!
Reply 27
Hello :smile: Don't think I've seen you on here before. Welcome to our little subforum :smile:
Reply 28
calamity jane
Don't slack for either. Especially English as at Advanced Higher your folio pieces actually mean something! (third of your grade last time I checked). And for Modern Studies, it's good that you have an interest in politics otherwise rememebering facts and not understanding to a large extent what you're talking about isn't gonna get you anywhere! I'm a science person myself but my brother did those subjects. Good Luck!

Oh what did he do his dissertation on for english?

Latest