The Student Room Group

Year Abroad - Montreal or McGill?

Hi there,

I am a second year UCL student and next year I have the opportunity to study abroad! I take BASc Arts and Sciences which includes French (I am intermediate level) and a whole host of other subjects!

I was just wondering if anybody had experience studying at either of these universities, and would be up for sharing their experiences? I'd like to hear the bad as well as the good. So far I am very excited but have heard that Montreal can be a little isolating, especially in winter!

Thanks in advance!
McGill is in Montreal? Unless you're fluent in French then I see very little point going to one of the francophone universities in Canada.
Reply 2
Yes by Montreal I was referring to Universite de Montreal. Part of my hope for the year abroad is to become fluent in French, though I'm not sure if studying at a francophone uni is the best way to do this. Have you been to university in Canada? Any advice? :smile:
McGill is Anglophone. Most of the courses are in English, although there are still a good number of French ones, most will be in English.
Original post by Ilovecanada
McGill is Anglophone. Most of the courses are in English, although there are still a good number of French ones, most will be in English.

The OP knows that, they asked if they should go to McGill or the Université de Montréal.
Sorry, misread the bit about 'francophone uni' as being McGill and UdM, rather than just UdM.
I'd go more towards McGill as it is all in English- you can still get the language immersion from being in Montreal, but also everything will be in English, so you won't have to constantly mentally translate everything into English like you would at UdM.
At UCL I think you get six choices for where to study abroad, so you should just apply to both anyway,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending