The Student Room Group

State symbols

How can I tell the difference between an aqueous substances (aq) and a liquid (l)?
Original post by British Jesus
How can I tell the difference between an aqueous substances (aq) and a liquid (l)?

An aqueous substance consists of a solid dissolved in water to form a solution, for example salt (sodium chloride) dissolved in water would be an aqueous solution.

A liquid is a molten form of a substance, for example pure water.

The sea is an aqueous solution because of all the ions in it.
Original post by carrotstar
An aqueous substance consists of a solid dissolved in water to form a solution, for example salt (sodium chloride) dissolved in water would be an aqueous solution.

A liquid is a molten form of a substance, for example pure water.

The sea is an aqueous solution because of all the ions in it.

Oh I see. So sodium hydroxide would be classed as a aqueous substance because sodium is dissolved in it?
Original post by British Jesus
Oh I see. So sodium hydroxide would be classed as a aqueous substance because sodium is dissolved in it?

No, sodium hydroxide would be a liquid (assuming that it is molten at room temperature).

Sodium hydroxide would need to be dissolved in water, or another solvent such as alcohol for the whole solution to be classed as aqueous.
Original post by carrotstar
No, sodium hydroxide would be a liquid (assuming that it is molten at room temperature).

Sodium hydroxide would need to be dissolved in water, or another solvent such as alcohol for the whole solution to be classed as aqueous.

I see now. Thanks for your help!
Reply 5
Vodka is ethanol (a liquid) dissolved into water i.e. (aq). Hydrochloric acid is HCl(g) dissolved into water again (aq). Not all "aqueous substance:undefined: consists of a solid dissolved in water to form a solution"
If you put sodium into water, it will react: 2Na(s) + 2H2O(l) -> 2NaOH(aq) + H2(g). The NaOH produce is (aq) as there is an excess of water. Boil off said water and you'd have NaOH(s). Heat it up some more and you'd get NaOH(l) as the solid would melt at 318 oC.

Quick Reply