The Student Room Group

Why does society continue to judge women so harshly?

On so many posts in student room, I see people talking about what women should and should not be doing, and I know it reflect societies attitudes towards women.

What I don't understand, is when I see posts like 'would you marry a woman who had slept with 15+ men?' When most men in the world would be happy to have slept with 15 women they find attractive, so I don't understand the double standard. Or why women can't wear revealing outfits if they want to, or why they can't be confident, is it me or should women be able to decide what they want to do without a man's permission or approval? Discuss..
I wouldn't mind a guy not sleeping with someone who'd been with +15 guys

Wouldn't date a guy with that "number" tbh

In b4 rustling of jimmies
Both men and women can decide to not marry someone based on whatever reason they want.
Women can wear revealing clothing.
Women can be confident.

OP:

The moment you realize that everything is just a social construct with no objective basis behind it, is the moment you stop giving a ****. Human ethics and emotions are not based on logic, or facts. Create your own ethical standards, **** what other people say.
(edited 8 years ago)
I agree with what you say, I think people are too quick to judge... oh wait, is someone shouting for me to man up?

We're all judged. It's an unfortunate consequence of being human.
Reply 5
can someone please tell me who "society" is because they keep coming up in conversation. It's quite an odd name and they seem to do a lot of messed up ****
Original post by okey
can someone please tell me who "society" is because they keep coming up in conversation. It's quite an odd name and they seem to do a lot of messed up ****

Have yo heard today's baby names? Society seems pretty normal compared to some!
Reply 7
Man or women. You will always be judged. It's a natural hum trait that we have. The only difference is, is that some choose to verbalise it whilst others don't say anything.
Original post by Mr Smurf
Both men and women can decide to not marry someone based on whatever reason they want.
Women can wear revealing clothing.
Women can be confident.

OP:

Gods, that's the worst visor that I've ever seen.
Reply 9
Original post by RiotGirll
I wouldn't mind a guy not sleeping with someone who'd been with +15 guys

Wouldn't date a guy with that "number" tbh

In b4 rustling of jimmies

1) That's assuming that the guy would tell you.. 2) If you were in love with someone and they told you they'd slept with a lot of people, do you actually think you'd end it with him? 3) I think (so not fact) the majority of people in the UK will have slept with 10-15 people by the age of 25.
Reply 10
Original post by aamirac
Man or women. You will always be judged. It's a natural hum trait that we have. The only difference is, is that some choose to verbalise it whilst others don't say anything.

I agree, it's just I think the majority of people, if they had a male friend and a female friend that had slept with 15+ people, would be much more likely to frown upon their female friend.

Which is weird, because as men from a teen, your friends talk about how many girls they've slept with, and it's not like if someone put the 15 hottest women (subjectively) on the planet in front of you, and they wanted to have sex, that you'd say no, in most circumstances.
Well they've been offered the gift of Sharia Law and they won't take it; they prefer their freedom to be abused and scorned and commoditised.
Men are judged harshly too. It's not only women.
Because they keep making very bad decisions in their lives.
Original post by david_94
On so many posts in student room, I see people talking about what women should and should not be doing, and I know it reflect societies attitudes towards women.

What I don't understand, is when I see posts like 'would you marry a woman who had slept with 15+ men?' When most men in the world would be happy to have slept with 15 women they find attractive, so I don't understand the double standard. Or why women can't wear revealing outfits if they want to, or why they can't be confident, is it me or should women be able to decide what they want to do without a man's permission or approval? Discuss..

I know, it's an unfortunate situation.

As far as I'm concerned, girls have the same rights as guys, and they shouldn't be judged for exercising those rights. They can wear what they want to, sleep with as many people as they want to, etc etc.

If you disagree then I'm afraid something's wrong.
I see.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending