The Student Room Group

Chemically processing natural hair

Where do you stand on chemically straightening a young child's hair? (Particularly Afro-Caribbean hair)

Relaxers have been known to leave lasting damage on both children and adults, however, they also soften thick hair types to make it more manageable and 'presentable'

Should we be putting potentially harmful chemicals into our children's hair & risk permanent damage, or wait until they're old enough to make that decision for themselves?

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/kinky-hair-type-4a/hair-relaxers-the-facts/
Original post by Xenon17
Wait until they are old enough to make that decision themselves. The most frustrating thing with my parents is when they made decisions for me that I think/know were the wrong ones. If it does cause permanent damage the parents are to blame.

I'm usually the one with the controversial opinion lol, but I actually agree. Relaxers do more bad than good. I've seen such lovely natural hair and it's a little upsetting that I'll never have that.

You could however, also put the blame on society in a way. ive been taught that long and straight hair was pretty, and as a child, all my friends wanted to have mixed race kids so they won't have to deal with afro hair. It's a shame

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending