The Student Room Group

Architecture 2016 Entry Applications and Offers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Grewsters
Basically,
1. Two pages consisting of pencil sketches surrounding human anatomy (subject matter and art medium I feel most confident with/enjoy most)
2. Three pages consisting of media that I'm not as confident with. Continued the theme of anatomy but branched off to animals and plants structure. The art wasn't as successful but I've showed I tried.
3. A page involving graphics and computer work that was more intended to show unconventionality.
4. A page of 3D modelling again looking at plant structures and also my interest in maths.

Have they asked you to send another portfolio for this years application? If they have I'd consider that a good thing, at least they see potential in you!!
Also as I'm sure you know, 3D work is valuable and so I wouldn't disclude it.

Sounds like your work was perhaps more experimental and showcased your drawing skills a lot more. Yeah, they've given me another two weeks to submit more freehand and observational stuff, which isn't discouraging at all!
Reply 21
Received a conditional offer from Kent today for AAB. Anyone else in that wave??

I got the same offer as well! Well done by the way!
Seems as though people are having been asked for portfolios etc however I haven't been asked for anything..??
Reply 22
Original post by REW.
Did KENT ask you for portfolio? I want to apply architecture as well but I am not doing art and design. by the way i am doing technology and design. do you think i will be asked for an portfolio?

I did not get asked for a portfolio no.. I'm not sure to be honest, sorry!
Reply 23
Original post by cowie

it's alright. thanks a lot.
Reply 24
Original post by cowie
I got the same offer as well! Well done by the way!
Seems as though people are having been asked for portfolios etc however I haven't been asked for anything..??

Congrats! It could depend on your Art and Design grade/predictions? Or maybe how much artistic experience you've mentioned in your PS?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 25
Congrats! It could depend on your Art and Design grade/predictions? Or maybe how much artistic experience you've mentioned in your PS?

I guess maybe, I got an A for AS and predicted A* and talked a lot about art etc in my personal statement
Reply 26
Just got an offer from Kent AAB, has anyone got offers from Edinburgh or Nottingham yet?
Reply 27
Original post by Joe1.618
Just got an offer from Kent AAB, has anyone got offers from Edinburgh or Nottingham yet?

Well done!! I haven't applied to either of those unis but Kent is still the only one I've heard from. I think Kent is unusually fast (only had my portfolio for 2 working days??) so I'm not expecting any other unis to reply that fast.

(edit: watch loads of people post about their offers from other unis now)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 28
Well done!! I haven't applied to either of those unis but Kent is still the only one I've heard from. I think Kent is unusually fast (only had my portfolio for 2 working days??) so I'm not expecting any other unis to reply that fast.

(edit: watch loads of people post about their offers from other unis now)

Thanks!
And yeh my ucas form got sent off Tuesday and I got the offer today. Also, I think the more competitive unis don't tend to make so many offers early on (like Bath, Sheffield) but not sure..
Reply 29
Original post by Joe1.618
Thanks!
And yeh my ucas form got sent off Tuesday and I got the offer today. Also, I think the more competitive unis don't tend to make so many offers early on (like Bath, Sheffield) but not sure..

No that's definitely true hahahh I just felt too pretentious dumbing Kent down to say it
Reply 30
Got an offer from Edinburgh yesterday! ABB. Im also applying to Cambridge, Bath, Cardiff and UCL.

How's the UCL Task coming along?! Anybody called for interview yet?
Reply 31
I'm quite worried as I have still not heard anything from UCL yet (about a task or whatnot).. Why could this be?
I received a portfolio request from Nottingham today by the way!
- just waiting for a response from Cambridge and UCL now
Reply 32
Does anyone have some portfolio advice they'd like to share? Because I've done my research and I'm still not sure how to go about it.. I'm working on an acrylic portrait of a little girl at the moment, I've got some web design stuff that I did for my AS graphics but before I do more work I don't know if it all need to link? Do I need a theme for my portfolio? And do they just want to see pieces of work (finished and unfinished) or also how I got there. E.g. for the website do they want screenshots of how I did it? Really don't know what I'm doing and I feel like I'm at a disadvantage applying to Bath with ABB results and A*AA predictions because despite the predictions they're going to take the people that got AAA-AAB.. And I don't do art either. Please advise :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by cowie

I thought everyone had to submit one :O Is it only if they ask?
Also, does anyone know anything about the limit as to how much work you submit? Because some places are like '15 sheets of A4' or whatever but I 've got A3 stuff I've done.. Would they penalise me if I took A3 stuff?
Reply 34
Original post by cowie
I'm quite worried as I have still not heard anything from UCL yet (about a task or whatnot).. Why could this be?
I received a portfolio request from Nottingham today by the way!
- just waiting for a response from Cambridge and UCL now

Well done with Nottingham, I think Cambridge will be replying in these next few weeks about interviews, good luck!
Reply 35
Original post by ambighak
Does anyone have some portfolio advice they'd like to share? Because I've done my research and I'm still not sure how to go about it.. I'm working on an acrylic portrait of a little girl at the moment, I've got some web design stuff that I did for my AS graphics but before I do more work I don't know if it all need to link? Do I need a theme for my portfolio? And do they just want to see pieces of work (finished and unfinished) or also how I got there. E.g. for the website do they want screenshots of how I did it? Really don't know what I'm doing and I feel like I'm at a disadvantage applying to Bath with ABB results and A*AA predictions because despite the predictions they're going to take the people that got AAA-AAB.. And I don't do art either. Please advise :smile:

Because your portfolio should really be based around your interests it's not uncommon for everything in it to be centred around a common theme. Many interests may mean that everything is different however. As for the processes images, only show it if you have something significant to say about it. I showed both a final piece and the initial sketches because my sketches clearly showed how the final piece was linked to maths. (hard to explain)
I just think you need to be a lot more relaxed with it because there is no right or wrong and they're definitely not expecting everyone's to be the same.
The only thing that should be seen in everyone's portfolios is a broad range of subject matter/mediums and a sense of creativity and ingenuity. (or anything specified by the uni)
Definitely apply to Bath if you're interested in it because your grades aren't a long way off. Just make sure you have back ups and you'll be fine.
Reply 36
Original post by ambighak
I thought everyone had to submit one :O Is it only if they ask?
Also, does anyone know anything about the limit as to how much work you submit? Because some places are like '15 sheets of A4' or whatever but I 've got A3 stuff I've done.. Would they penalise me if I took A3 stuff?

Yahhhhh only if they ask. Just make sure your prepared for any eventuality, won't harm to have a portfolio ready. Also not taking art A Level and having a decent portfolio gives you an easier chance to discuss that you do art in your free time and not because you've been told to. (looks and sounds a lot better)
Also I'm pretty sure they mean for you to take photos of larger work and paste it onto an A4 sheet
Reply 37
Original post by JianW
Got an offer from Edinburgh yesterday! ABB. Im also applying to Cambridge, Bath, Cardiff and UCL.

How's the UCL Task coming along?! Anybody called for interview yet?

Well done with Edinburgh!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 38
I'm quite worried as I have yet to be asked to do the task (or have had any response apart from the recognition of my application being received) from UCL? Has anyone else not been emailed about the task etc? and perhaps why might this be?
Reply 39
Well done with Edinburgh!!

Thanks!!

Quick Reply

Latest