The Student Room Group

Architecture 2016 Entry Applications and Offers

A thread for potential architecture students to discuss applications, offers, universities applied to and when you heard from them.
I've applied to Cambridge (Pembroke), Bath, Cardiff, Sheffield and Kent (insurance) with A*A*A in physics, biology and maths respectively.
Anyone else??...
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've applied to Bath, UCL, Sheffield, Cardiff and Oxford Brookes.
My A Level predictions are A*AA in Art, Maths and Spanish.
I'd prefer a more 'arty' course, but I don't mind too much.
I am going to send my portfolios off in the next week or two and then I'll just have to hope I get offers.
Reply 2
Applied to Cambridge, Nottingham, Sheffield, Kent and UCL.
Received an offer from Kent for AAB about 2 weeks ago, awaiting others (have yet to submit a portfolio to Sheffield yet).
Predicted A2 grades: A*AA inn Art, Physics and Chemistry.
Reply 3
Original post by aiphoszh
I am going to send my portfolios off in the next week or two and then I'll just have to hope I get offers.

You're application seems really good!! Kind of jealous because I didn't take art A Level:/// Did you do much external portfolio work or is it all from your A Level?
I've heard Bath and UCL are opposites in terms of being art or science based but I guess it doesn't matter if you don't mind.
Good Luck!!
Reply 4
Original post by cowie
Received an offer from Kent for AAB about 2 weeks ago, awaiting others (have yet to submit a portfolio to Sheffield yet).

Ahhh well done on the offer! I want one just to have that feeling of knowing I'm definitely going to uni.
Just curious about what you used to present your portfolio to Kent? I've used blogspot but it's got quite basic theme.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Grewsters
Ahhh well done on the offer! I want one just to have that feeling of knowing I'm definitely going to uni.
Just curious about what you used to present your portfolio to Kent? I've used blogspot but it's got quite basic theme.

Thanks! It is quite a relief having at least one early on- checking emails by the hour! Kent hadn't asked for a portfolio. The only one to ask for a portfolio was Sheffield for me.
Reply 6
You're application seems really good!! Kind of jealous because I didn't take art A Level:/// Did you do much external portfolio work or is it all from your A Level?
I've heard Bath and UCL are opposites in terms of being art or science based but I guess it doesn't matter if you don't mind.
Good Luck!!

Thank you! I did a few things outside of A Level but most of my portfolio was from AS and what I have done so far in A2 Art. I think universities do like to see work that you have done outside of an official course as it shows self motivation.
Well Bath was the only open day I managed to get to so I put it down as I really liked it when I was there. I am creative but can do technical stuff as well.
(edited 8 years ago)

Hey! I would also prefer a more art/design oriented course that focuses on features as well as the environment rather than one that focuses on the engineering aspect.

I have not yet sent off my UCAS but I was wondering, do you send off your portfolio to your universities right after you submit your UCAS or do they email you asking for it before a certain deadline?

I assume that the later I submit my portfolio, the longer my application will be put on hold until they have something to look it (correct me if I'm wrong here)

I'm just anxious because I currently haven't got much for my portfolio and it's far from complete so I'm wondering when I should submit it by?

Reply 8
Original post by sherifshehata
Hey! I would also prefer a more art/design oriented course that focuses on features as well as the environment rather than one that focuses on the engineering aspect.

I have not yet sent off my UCAS but I was wondering, do you send off your portfolio to your universities right after you submit your UCAS or do they email you asking for it before a certain deadline?

I assume that the later I submit my portfolio, the longer my application will be put on hold until they have something to look it (correct me if I'm wrong here)

I'm just anxious because I currently haven't got much for my portfolio and it's far from complete so I'm wondering when I should submit it by?

I had this same issue! I initially though everyone would be given the same deadline for portfolios but that's not the case. I guess it depends on the university but usually after you submit your application, they'll give you 3-5 weeks to submit a portfolio.
I applied really early and then had a mad rush as I realised my portfolio wasn't even nearly ready. So my advise would be to make sure you're comfortable with your portfolio before you apply because the date you apply shouldn't really have any effect on your chances of getting an offer:smile:
Hope I helped.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by abssy
I'm applying to Kingston, LSBU, Westminster, Anglia Ruskin and maybe Greenwich..
Will I be able to get into anything here for Building Surveying with grades BCC?

I'm not familiar with Building Surveying but I'm sure most courses will be similar in the way that whatever the university website states will be the average offer given to prospective students who apply. If your grades are below this then obviously you'll have a harder time getting an offer but I'd always email the university just to check if there are any special circumstances or guidance that they are able to offer.
Reply 10

I probably should have sent mine off later as I haven't done my best A Level art work yet. Also as it has been half term I haven't been able to get to my work to photograph it for my portfolio and my deadline is really soon. The universities email you asking for it by a certain deadline. Cardiff only gave me 2 weeks, one of which was over half term so I am a bit stressed. Sheffield gave me 4 weeks to prepare my portfolio though.
You won't get any offers until after sending your portfolio but as long as you apply before January 15th you will have an equal chance I think.
I probably should have sent mine off later as I haven't done my best A Level art work yet. Also as it has been half term I haven't been able to get to my work to photograph it for my portfolio and my deadline is really soon. The universities email you asking for it by a certain deadline. Cardiff only gave me 2 weeks, one of which was over half term so I am a bit stressed. Sheffield gave me 4 weeks to prepare my portfolio though.
You won't get any offers until after sending your portfolio but as long as you apply before January 15th you will have an equal chance I think.

Alright thanks a lot. Also are you given the task after your given the offer or is the task part of the selection process?
Reply 12
Alright thanks a lot. Also are you given the task after your given the offer or is the task part of the selection process?

The task is part of the selection process.
Reply 13
Received a conditional offer from Kent today for AAB. Anyone else in that wave??
Received a conditional offer from Kent today for AAB. Anyone else in that wave??

They've asked me to submit more freehand and observational drawing as my portfolio is quite 3D based, I think. What did you put in your portfolio?
Reply 15
haven't applied at all :redface: i want to apply to Cardiff Kent Oxford brookes Northumbria and Nottingham but im stuck should i apply for De Monfort or Northumbria? what are your opinions? also should i apply without my portfolio being ready?
Reply 16
well done!!
Reply 17
Original post by Dave8991
They've asked me to submit more freehand and observational drawing as my portfolio is quite 3D based, I think. What did you put in your portfolio?

Basically,
1. Two pages consisting of pencil sketches surrounding human anatomy (subject matter and art medium I feel most confident with/enjoy most)
2. Three pages consisting of media that I'm not as confident with. Continued the theme of anatomy but branched off to animals and plants structure. The art wasn't as successful but I've showed I tried.
3. A page involving graphics and computer work that was more intended to show unconventionality.
4. A page of 3D modelling again looking at plant structures and also my interest in maths.

Have they asked you to send another portfolio for this years application? If they have I'd consider that a good thing, at least they see potential in you!!
Also as I'm sure you know, 3D work is valuable and so I wouldn't disclude it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by adds24
haven't applied at all :redface: i want to apply to Cardiff Kent Oxford brookes Northumbria and Nottingham but im stuck should i apply for De Monfort or Northumbria? what are your opinions? also should i apply without my portfolio being ready?

Thank you:smile::smile:
Don't apply without your portfolio being at least close to completion!!!! It depends on how fast you can work but for me, three weeks to prepare a portfolio with nothing to put in it was not easy.
Personally I'd choose Northumbria but only because I've heard it being mentioned more and it's higher up on The Complete University Guide ranking (awful advise). However if I was stuck between two universities that I see as quite similar that is how I would go about it. Don't fuss too much because in reality, is there such thing as a bad uni experience?
Good luck with whatever you choose though!
Reply 19
Original post by cowie

Did KENT ask you for portfolio? I want to apply architecture as well but I am not doing art and design. by the way i am doing technology and design. do you think i will be asked for an portfolio?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending