The Student Room Group

Running away to the Netherlands

I'm 17.
I told my carers i'm going to visit friends but:

i've known this guy from twitter for years and we skype all the time. He wants me to go visit/live with him in Rotterdam (i think) and he's booked me a train ticket already(in 2 weeks) and is going to sort out anything else: school/ health insurance for me when i get there. He has his own flat with his brother and works so he's stable.

I'm SO desperate to do this since we have the best relationship (he's like my only friend) and i'm slightly head over heels. but i haven't told anyone bc i know they won't take me seriously. will i get in trouble for leaving the country without telling anyone? Will my school get involved?

Also i'm so nervous, i don't know dutch, i haven't met him in person, will it be "kidnapping" (he's slightly older)?? I don't want him to get in trouble.

I definitely WANT to do this but i'm nervous, TBH i think i'm going to visit first before i move permanently.

should i take a sum of money in case something happens and i have to go home? like what should i plan in advance it's kinda all over the place rn

so confused.
p.s. i'm a smart girl btw don't patronise me :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Is this a joke? Some guy you've never met in person wants you to move in with him so, at the age of seventeen, you're running away to the Netherlands without telling your carers, your friends, or your school? See you on the red light district :wavey:
OP don't do this please he could be a sex trafficker for all you know :s-smilie:

Are there problems with your carers is that why you're running away :console:
PLEASE do not do this. It may seem like the grass is greener but trust me it probably is not. You've not met him IRL & many people are completely different online to how they are in person... Anything could happen to you, and as someone who has had a sibling gone missing I dread to think of what could happen. What exactly is your definition of 'smart'??!
Reply 4
holy **** brah is this for real? don't do this please you're putting yourself in danger... ALOT of danger

talk to childline they give good advice:
https://www.childline.org.uk/Talk/Chat/Pages/OnlineChat.aspx

it's confidiential and you can talk to them about anything anonymously and they'll advise you it's their job
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
i'm a smart girl btw

You're clearly not. This is an extremely bad idea.
Reply 6
I'm 17.

i've known this guy from twitter for years and we skype all the time. He wants me to go visit/live with him in Rotterdam (i think) and he's booked me a train ticket already(in 2 weeks) and is going to sort out anything else: school/ health insurance for me when i get there. He has his own flat with his brother and works so he's stable.

I'm SO desperate to do this since we have the best relationship (he's like my only friend) and i'm slightly head over heels. but i haven't told anyone bc i know they won't take me seriously. will i get in trouble for leaving the country without telling anyone? Will my school get involved?

Also i'm so nervous, i don't know dutch, i haven't met him in person, will it be "kidnapping" (he's slightly older)?? I don't want him to get in trouble.

I definitely WANT to do this but i'm nervous, TBH i think i'm going to visit first before i move permanently.

should i take a sum of money in case something happens and i have to go home? like what should i plan in advance it's kinda all over the place rn

so confused.

:lolwut: :lolwut: :lolwut:
Honestly, this is not good at all and you really should not go. People definately are not what they seem and once you're there, it's going to be a hard situation to get out of. He's older and willing to pay for everything - most people aren't inclined nor have the money to do this. If it's love, he would wait until you're older and visit you in your own country. Surely, as he has a job and is older, he should be the one doing the stressful travelling to come to visit you. Even if he did come here to visit you, as you said you're a smart girl and would know only to meet in public places and not go back with someone. You may get on really well online, but he's still a stranger and you may not get on in real life - in a foreign country, you can't exactly call for someone to pick you up..

It sounds very dodgy to me. Please don't go on this trip. You may never come back, and that's not because you'd be living there...
I'm 17.

so confused.

You said don't patronise, but I'm sorry.

You are going to live in a foreign country? With none of your own money, or family or support? And the guy you are staying with is one you haven't met in person? Come on!
Don't do it! It looks like an example for kidnapping...
Nah fam.
Why doesn't he come over here to visit you; take you out, meet with your friends?
No, this isn't a 'smart' thing to do AT ALL!

What do you plan on doing when you get there? are you financially stable? at 17 I highly doubt it, so you shouldn't be making a permanent move anywhere until you can afford all your expenses yourself. What if you want to come home and he won't let you, you won't have the money to come home will you?

Okay thats just about the money...

Now onto the serious stuff. This isn't okay, you are 17, your carers will probably file a missing persons report. The police will most likely get involved. DON'T DO THIS! Finish school, decide what you want in life then your to travel and explore and do whatever you want, but don't run away in the middle of school, it's a ridiculous plan and it definitely sounds like a kidnapping.
Reply 13
don't. fuсking. do it.
By 'don't patronise' OP means 'tell me I'm right'
No, visiting him is a really bad idea, and living with him is worse.

Surely your carers know about him and your relationship? If you want to meet him, and you're sure, perhaps invite him to the UK and offer to meet him in a cafe {or something} in a nearby town {not close to your real address} WITH your carers/people you trust

be careful, and be safe. Definitely don't visit him, and you're probably best to talk this over IrL with somebody you trust, and let your carers know
holy **** this sounds so dodgy, it's basically the plot for 'taken'. Going to visit someone you've never met, in another country, when no one knows where you are... you are going to get raped or murdered.

What if he takes your money and phone when you get there? He and his brother could do whatever they want to you and no one even know where you were, hell, you don't even know where you are going...

And if he likes you so much and can obviously afford a train ticket why has he not come and visited you in person? Why is an older man trying to lure a 17 year old to another country to his flat?

If you get on that train you are going to get hurt. Don't do it.
Sounds magical...however my answer is no.
There is so much that is wrong with this. >.< What if you change your mind when you get there and he doesn't let you come back? What will you do? Clearly you're not as smart as you think. :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
When you go missing on the news... I'll forward this :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending