The Student Room Group

Running away to the Netherlands

Scroll to see replies

You call yourself smart and you're moving to Amsterdam to some guy you barely know?
Ha, what a stupid girl
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
You call yourself smart and you're moving to Amsterdam to some guy you barely know?

i agree are u insane moving to a country you barely know to live with a guy you have never met in real life. i have heard stupid things but this is by far the worst. your 17 for God sake. imagine you get there and he rapes you or something and then leaves you all alone. what you planning to do then? im not saying you are stupid but you are clearly not thinking straight.
Original post by Anonymous
p.s. i'm a smart girl btw don't patronise me :smile:

LOL yeah right

Thanks for the laugh. Now go and do your homework instead of procrastinating on TSR, young lady.
Original post by arcenciel21
LOL yeah right

Thanks for the laugh. Now go and do your homework instead of procrastinating on TSR, young lady.

LMAO
Reply 25
I'm 17.
I told my carers i'm going to visit friends but:

i've known this guy from twitter for years and we skype all the time. He wants me to go visit/live with him in Rotterdam (i think) and he's booked me a train ticket already(in 2 weeks) and is going to sort out anything else: school/ health insurance for me when i get there. He has his own flat with his brother and works so he's stable.

I'm SO desperate to do this since we have the best relationship (he's like my only friend) and i'm slightly head over heels. but i haven't told anyone bc i know they won't take me seriously. will i get in trouble for leaving the country without telling anyone? Will my school get involved?

Also i'm so nervous, i don't know dutch, i haven't met him in person, will it be "kidnapping" (he's slightly older)?? I don't want him to get in trouble.

I definitely WANT to do this but i'm nervous, TBH i think i'm going to visit first before i move permanently.

should i take a sum of money in case something happens and i have to go home? like what should i plan in advance it's kinda all over the place rn

so confused.

Here's what I think:

You could visit him. But the first time you see him make sure it's in a public place in the city, so ask him to meet you somewhere public like a cafe in a shopping mall in Amsterdam. See how he's like, because truth is most of the time people are different in real life compared to their online personality.

DO NOT MOVE IN WITH HIM NOW. Wait till you're 18. And if you do decide to move then, you have to let your carers know - not just run away. This is because even if the guy you're meeting turns out to be fine and really caring and everything, you're still not an adult legally so your carers CAN take action.
Original post by hilrho
Here's what I think:

You could visit him. But the first time you see him make sure it's in a public place in the city, so ask him to meet you somewhere public like a cafe in a shopping mall in Amsterdam. See how he's like, because truth is most of the time people are different in real life compared to their online personality.

:lolwut: That's possibly the worst advice you could give.

OP is 17, she shouldn't visit a stranger in another country regardless of whether they'll be meeting in a public place on their first encounter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Potally_Tissed
You're clearly not. This is an extremely bad idea.

Everyone's just being so one sided! I would be 1000% happier there than i am here and i'm going to be with someone I like very much. I've known him for years, we've skyped, I've seen his brother. I know i can really trust this guy.
I'm planning on calling my carers when i get there so they don't file any missing person's report so i WON'T be on the news whoever said that.
I'll finish school out there. ffs I knew people would be judgmental.
Original post by Smilin’ Knight
holy **** this sounds so dodgy, it's basically the plot for 'taken'. Going to visit someone you've never met, in another country, when no one knows where you are... you are going to get raped or murdered.

What if he takes your money and phone when you get there? He and his brother could do whatever they want to you and no one even know where you were, hell, you don't even know where you are going...

And if he likes you so much and can obviously afford a train ticket why has he not come and visited you in person? Why is an older man trying to lure a 17 year old to another country to his flat?

If you get on that train you are going to get hurt. Don't do it.

This ^^^ a thousand times. Bloody hell
Everyone's just being so one sided! I would be 1000% happier there than i am here and i'm going to be with someone I like very much. I've known him for years, we've skyped, I've seen his brother. I know i can really trust this guy.
I'm planning on calling my carers when i get there so they don't file any missing person's report so i WON'T be on the news whoever said that.

No, that's not why they said you will be on the news....

Everyone is being one sided because apparently everyone but you can see what a moronic idea this is.
is he Moroccan or Turk?

If so there is a 99% chance that he'll abuse you and try to pimp you out. Very very common in Holland
^^^^racist

Erm I'm sorry but are we supposed to say, "Oh OP, go ahead and go to a foreign country to some guy you don't know well at all and risk being murdered/pimped out" ?

I forgot how stupid some people my age can be.. And honey, many of us think that we can really trust someone after knowing them (in person if I may add) for years and then sometimes they end up slapping it back in our face.
What the.....?
Don't you even dare to go on this journey as you will be considered extremely foolish.
Oh, and I'm sure a 'smart' person, at the age of 17, will think about running to the Netherlands on their own and the consequences along with it.
This is for your own safety.
I'm 17.
I told my carers i'm going to visit friends but:

i've known this guy from twitter for years and we skype all the time. He wants me to go visit/live with him in Rotterdam (i think) and he's booked me a train ticket already(in 2 weeks) and is going to sort out anything else: school/ health insurance for me when i get there. He has his own flat with his brother and works so he's stable.

I'm SO desperate to do this since we have the best relationship (he's like my only friend) and i'm slightly head over heels. but i haven't told anyone bc i know they won't take me seriously. will i get in trouble for leaving the country without telling anyone? Will my school get involved?

Also i'm so nervous, i don't know dutch, i haven't met him in person, will it be "kidnapping" (he's slightly older)?? I don't want him to get in trouble.

I definitely WANT to do this but i'm nervous, TBH i think i'm going to visit first before i move permanently.

should i take a sum of money in case something happens and i have to go home? like what should i plan in advance it's kinda all over the place rn

so confused.

don't do it. think about it what is Netherlands famous for. you don't really know this guy hes probably trying to groom you into one of those sex gang things

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending