The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

If they are really bothered they should either help the white males or encourage them to do better, in my experience some white males just don't give a **** about education so i'm not too surprised
Original post by AlexS101
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/34667100/poor-white-boys-get-a-worse-start-in-life-says-equality-report

In the current situation of making sure that Girls and Ethnic minorities have every avenue open to them, it seems that one group have been completely left behind by the education system.
Couldn't possibly be even partially due to all of these schemes that are only open to girls or other minority groups could it? (Or at least that doesn't suit the BBC agenda).

It's unfortunate, but if you happen to share a gender and skin colour as the ruling elite, then you apparently don't deserve any support, and it's your fault.
Well I'm not surprised, they get bombarded with messages that they are extremely privileged when they simply aren't. This causes them to become increasingly resentful and angry. I know for a fact that if I hadn't have been near the top of my class during my late childhood and early teens, I would have channeled my fury into violence, loitering, and possibly even crime.
Reply 4
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-17618865 states
So in Leicestershire, each pupil is allocated £4,428. But that's £862 lower than for each city pupil in Leicester's schools

Leicester city has a much higher proportion of ethnic minority students than Leicestershire, and from what I've read a similar story exists nationwide, that predominately white english areas recieve less funding than areas with a high number of ethnic minorities.
This is before considering that county schools tend to be smaller, as housing is more spread out so really need more funding per student than city schools, who are able to benefit from higher levels of economies of scale.
So are poor brown males and females though :confused:
Reply 6
I suspect they prefer playing video games.
Indeed, if it was girls performing worse than boys at school, we'd never hear the end of it in the media.
F*cking foreigners taking our grades. *downs more booze*
Original post by intelligent con
It's because white students tend to be lazier than hard working asians of the same background

Kind of like how black students are more likely to be criminals, and mulsim students are more likely to be terrorists right?
It's deliberate, I remember once your in bottom set at school teachers give up on you.
Reply 11
Original post by llys
I suspect they prefer playing video games.

Because their parents don't value education, and they don't get as many opportunities as other groups to see the value of education?
Original post by Bjornhattan
Well I'm not surprised, they get bombarded with messages that they are extremely privileged when they simply aren't. This causes them to become increasingly resentful and angry. I know for a fact that if I hadn't have been near the top of my class during my late childhood and early teens, I would have channeled my fury into violence, loitering, and possibly even crime.

Who's bombarding them with messages of extreme privilege? Let's not be dramatic now. This isn't really new news. I've heard that working/underclass white boys are underachievers. Nobody is telling them they're privileged which is the cause of their failure. Even if that was true, how is that a reason for them underachieving? Someone else commented on here saying that they tend to be lazier, which is true. Even now that I'm at university I see it. The working class white boys throughout my school years were always uninterested or too lazy to push themselves into doing better. They're not resentful and angry, who are they angry at? Lol.
Original post by Longshot700
F*cking foreigners taking our grades. *downs more booze*

if you're that bothered do something about then bitch
Clearly these boys must have lost their white privilege cards, which of course we all know are issued to every white person at birth. No matter, I'm sure the white patriarchy will issue them with replacement cards as soon as possible, and then it will be smooth sailing for the rest of their lives.
Original post by Novascope
Who's bombarding them with messages of extreme privilege? Let's not be dramatic now. This isn't really new news. I've heard that working/underclass white boys are underachievers. Nobody is telling them they're privileged which is the cause of their failure. Even if that was true, how is that a reason for them underachieving? Someone else commented on here saying that they tend to be lazier, which is true. Even now that I'm at university I see it. The working class white boys throughout my school years were always uninterested or too lazy to push themselves into doing better. They're not resentful and angry, who are they angry at? Lol.

No, I don't think that they are lazier. The problem is, not enough resources are given to them. There are not enough opportunities for working class people, public services are at an all time low. Where you do get public services, they are often targeted at minorities. I don't begrudge them this, working class minorities have it pretty much as hard. When you don't have a supportive family, it can be extremely difficult. Just claiming them to be lazy doesn't cut it. It's more like they were never pushed.
Someone else commented on here saying that they tend to be lazier, which is true.

Evidence?
Original post by Bjornhattan
No, I don't think that they are lazier. The problem is, not enough resources are given to them. There are not enough opportunities for working class people, public services are at an all time low. Where you do get public services, they are often targeted at minorities. I don't begrudge them this, working class minorities have it pretty much as hard. When you don't have a supportive family, it can be extremely difficult. Just claiming them to be lazy doesn't cut it. It's more like they were never pushed.

Yeah I totally agree with you there. But we can't rule out laziness altogether. What you said about the working class and the opportunities they get is so true. But why this is only targeted at white male working class students baffles me when the same pretty much goes for anyone from the working class

So if women earn less money than men, on average, would it be considered acceptable for someone to say it's because women are lazier and not working hard enough?

(I don't necessarily disagree with you btw, but I think there are huge double standards from the media on these issues.)
(edited 8 years ago)
And this coming just a day after a female MP chuckled when a male MP suggested that there should be a men's international day to discuss men's issues...