The Student Room Group

Anyone applying for/done the Sutton Trust US Programme?

I'm gonna be applying when it opens next month, just wondering if anyone else is too, and/or if anyone's been through the programme and wanted to share their experiences :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'd say definitely put effort into your application. I didn't get in but I have a few classmates who were in the programme and really enjoyed both the help with applications and the excursions! And, if you don't get in, it's possible to apply on your own. Don't give up. (:
Original post by feyy
I'd say definitely put effort into your application. I didn't get in but I have a few classmates who were in the programme and really enjoyed both the help with applications and the excursions! And, if you don't get in, it's possible to apply on your own. Don't give up. (:

Hey,
I'm in the same situation here,just wondering if you know anything about the % of people that do get it ?
Thanks
Out of 1700 applications 175 people got in last year
Hi,
I'm a Sutton trust cohort 4 student on the programme now and I cannot recommend applying to this programme enough. I honestly don't think I would be able to apply to the US without them. And the week in the US was the best trip of my life. We stayed at Yale and got to visit Harvard, Columbia, Princeton, Barnard and Smith college.
Also only 150 actually got to go the US, the 175 went to a finalists residential.
The best advice I can give is show your enthusiasm for applying to the US in your application and DO THE VIDEO INTERVIEW. 'Strongly recommend' means DO IT.
Good luck with everything :smile:
I'm also a ST Cohort 4 student and the US programme is the best thing that's happened to me! Not only did I get to spend a week in America at some of the world's best universities, I was able to do it with some of the most interesting and incredible people in the UK. I'm now applying to universities in the US and the entire process has been so encouraging and exciting. Definitely give a lot of thought to your application and don't be afraid to sell yourself! The ST team really just want to find out what you're like so do your best to be genuine and truly express who you are. Good luck! :smile:
Hi,
I am a cohort 4 student on the programme and I would say definitely apply! The programme has been life changing for me and the other 149 students on it and has given us an opportunity like no other! Even with some of the biggest brains in Britain all in the same group, and people from all over the UK, the programme is totally free of any cut throat atmosphere and you will meet friends for life. If you have the grades, the willpower to overcome the workload and could see yourself thriving in the United States, go for it!
I'm also in cohort 4 of the programme (seems like we're taking over this thread lol), and although this sounds so cliche, the US Programme is absolutely amazing to be a part of. Obviously the US weeks are the main attraction (and tbh they're the reason I applied originally!) but there is so much more than that, the info you're given is out of this world and the people you meet are incredible.

The biggest tip I would give for the application is be creative, try and stand out - I did my video with a box on my head so that I'd be remembered. Doesn't have to be something as weird as that, but try and do something a bit different. The staff are likely to see around 2,000 applications this year, make them remember you! Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
:smile:

Hi All

Just want to reiterate what my fellow ST Cohort 4 members have been saying. Apply!! I'm so glad I finished my application and got on to this programme! Best thing I've ever done. Everyone associated this programme wants to see you achieve your best. Big thank to Redheaded Rock Star, Rosie, Finacial Aid Guru, Lavishka, "Next Steps" Queen, Jillian and the rest of the Sutton Trust/Fulbright staff. These guys will help help you achieve your dreams in the US or the UK no matter what.
Another cohort 4 right here! Although I decided not to apply to the US, being apart of this programme was defintely a big highlight of my year. You'll meet amazing like minded people and I can't put into words the amount of information you'll learn!

Advice I'd give is just be yourself and don't be afraid to sell yourself too! Good luck :smile:
Hi all, I'm applying at the minute too but I was wondering if you could tell me what the US visit dates were last year just for availability puposes :biggrin:
Thanks !
The dates last year were 31 July - 7 August or 5 August - 12 August. It should say on the website or the application page what the dates are I think. Good luck with the application!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks Jack, last time I checked it just said TBA :smile: Good luck to you with US applications and such :wink:
HEY! I am applying this year and i was wondering if I could have a look at any of the last cohorts videos just to get the gist of what they want, I am doing A level film and I don't know whether to make it nice cinematographically but not cheesy or if it is worth just talking to the camera without all that jazz?
Original post by yummypasta123
HEY! I am applying this year and i was wondering if I could have a look at any of the last cohorts videos just to get the gist of what they want, I am doing A level film and I don't know whether to make it nice cinematographically but not cheesy or if it is worth just talking to the camera without all that jazz?

Hey! You can literally do anything!
If you YouTube 'Sutton Trust US Programme' you'll probably see some videos, but generally when submitting, ST asks you to keep it private since (like my own video) had some personal bits.
But yeah, go mad! They won't assess your editing skills, they just want to see who YOU are - something which you will see is key to the American university application system.
Reply 15
Hi, I'm applying for the programme this year as well!Good luck! I think I'm gonna keep the video simple in terms of editing; it does say that the main thing is the content.
Original post by tue
Hi, I'm applying for the programme this year as well!Good luck! I think I'm gonna keep the video simple in terms of editing; it does say that the main thing is the content.

[I was part of this year's programme]

True that, however if you think that doing something different/weird is the person you are, then go for it! As long as it creates a better picture for ST for who YOU are. -Remember, these people will be working with you through the whole year (I got admitted for uni' last week and they've still been helping me with the next steps like Visa).
Hey guys, you're were so blessed to get in.
May I just ask, so they short listed the finalist to 150 people from 175 people? May I ask how they did this? Was it through a test or anything? I'm thinking about applying this year by sending my application in but I'm so scared of doing so because my GCSEs grades aren't A*/A completely, there are some As but more of Bs. Also I'm repeating year 12 due to some circumstances. I feel like I won't get picked due to my GCSE grades and me repeating the year even if I did a well written, thoughtful short essay response.
Hey - there was a test at the first residential, but I think the way they reduce the numbers is more down to how interested people seem in the programme. My biggest advice re worries about the application is to just apply. You're not going to lose anything by applying and through not submitting you don't even give yourself a chance. Also, there is an extenuating circumstances box in the application so definitely make use of it to explain circumstances surrounding you retaking year 12. But do it quickly, deadline is 5pm tomorrow! Good luck!
Original post by JackTait97
Hey - there was a test at the first residential, but I think the way they reduce the numbers is more down to how interested people seem in the programme. My biggest advice re worries about the application is to just apply. You're not going to lose anything by applying and through not submitting you don't even give yourself a chance. Also, there is an extenuating circumstances box in the application so definitely make use of it to explain circumstances surrounding you retaking year 12. But do it quickly, deadline is 5pm tomorrow! Good luck!

May I just ask what sort of test this was? Maths based or anything or a test about opinions or something? I'm just thinking about timing too, as in would I have time to study for the ACT exams and AS exams.

Quick Reply

Latest