The Student Room Group

Is it better to do a law degree of the GDL?

Hi I was wondering which would be best, and the positives and negative of whatever route I choose. I want to go to uni to study economics then do the GDL or should I do a straight up law degree. Grades here are not the issue.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi!

Law degree:
+ you'd end up entering the LPC/BPTC quicker
+ you're learning everything at a slower, more manageable pace
- you won't have anything to fall back on if you lose interest

GDL:
+ fast track
+ law firms don't discriminate against people who take the GDL (often take 50/50 of law degree and GDL)
- learning at such a fast, condensed speed you may lose interest/not understand/not do well

Does that help?? That's all I can think of atm... I'm going to do a law degree and so I'm a huge advocate for that, but good luck! :smile:
If you like Economics, do that. The academic study of Law can be realllyyy boring if you're not into it, and at least with Econ you have a good back-up. You won't be disadvantaged by employers in any way no matter what route you choose so it's really down to cost (GDL can be an expensive route) and interest (you are spending years studying after all)
Good luck deciding :smile:
Its down to your own personal preference. I started a law degree then after a year changed to Philosophy! The reason I did was because the job market and especially law is so hard to get into so by doing another degree disciple it opens other doors like teaching etc if all else fails.
Do law if that's what you want to study. If you have a passion for another subject, do that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending