The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Aeronautical Engineering 2016 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Hi,
Does anybody know how important accreditation is for Aerospace Engineering?
I'm unsure between Bath and Bristol as insurance and I've read that Bath's course is accredited by both the RAeS and the IMechE whilst Bristol's course is only accredited by the RAeS. However, Bristol's course seems to be better...
Could anyone give some insight into how important this might be and which uni to choose...
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by Chapepote
Hi,
I'm unsure between Bath and Bristol as insurance and I've read that Bath's course is accredited by both the RAeS and the IMechE whilst Bristol's course is only accredited by the RAeS. However, Bristol's course seems to be better...
Could anyone give some insight into how important this might be and which uni to choose...

Hi, I had the exact same problem. I ended up choosing Bath over Bristol for insurance because I visited both and Bath had a better uni feel to it and seemed warmer. I actually didn't know that Bath's course was accredited by both RAeS and the IMechE and I just checked their site and it is! Also Bath is a lovely town. At Bath all Aerospace and Mechanical engineers do a general 2 years and then specialize into their streams so some people say Bristol is better for the course but imo the Bristol department didn't impress me as much as Bath. Also, my Bath offer was 36 with a 66 in Math and Physics whereas Bristol was 38 with a 666 so it was just simple maths really :biggrin: Good luck choosing
Did anyone get a 40 7 Maths and 6 Physics offer? or did almost everyone get 40 7 7?
Original post by Chapepote
Hi,

Frankly I don't think that is very important, even regarding career prospects. Imperial's course is also accredited by both institutions but if a company explicitely says they want a Mechanical Engineering student for an internship they are sometimes quite reluctant to even consider applications from Aeronautics (happened to a few of my friends). I don't think anyone cares about IMechE here, we are not even offered a free student membership (we get it for RAeS) so I wouldn't bother too much. There are far more important aspects of the course to focus on.
I'm an student.I recently got an admit into Mac advanced aeronautical engineering in imperial college as well as an aerospace engineering at kth Sweden.I have been informed that getting a job for non Europeans in the UK is very difficult.I want to know how true that is since it will be of prime importance to me immediately after my degree that I be able to pay off my loan.Also I want advice on what would be better between Sweden and the UK in terms of employability of non Europeans
Original post by Student403
Thanks! I had A*A*A in M/Ph/FM respectively :biggrin:

Or was that for AthenaBo? :lol:

Did your second A* have to be in physics? Or could it be for further maths?
Original post by Rgrewall
Did your second A* have to be in physics? Or could it be for further maths?

It was A* Maths, A*A in FM/Physics in any order
Reply 347
how did it go with meeting your ib offers?
Not well; I got a 40 with 66 so they'll consider me in August but Dr. Bruce said "it's a long shot" because a lot of A-level kids would have to miss their offers. Why didn't I apply to MechEng...their entry requirements are 6,6 with 40.
Original post by thatbrownkid17
Not well; I got a 40 with 66 so they'll consider me in August but Dr. Bruce said "it's a long shot" because a lot of A-level kids would have to miss their offers. Why didn't I apply to MechEng...their entry requirements are 6,6 with 40.

MechEng is exceedingly hard to get an offer for. A friend of mine with an Engineering offer at Cambridge got rejected Imp MechE
MechEng is exceedingly hard to get an offer for. A friend of mine with an Engineering offer at Cambridge got rejected Imp MechE

I would say that Aero is harder to get an offer for than MechEng for sure, though! The grade requirements are higher + that maths test. Plus the MechEng interview was honestly a piece of cake, compared to the horror stories I've heard about Aero interviews..
Original post by tanyapotter
I would say that Aero is harder to get an offer for than MechEng for sure, though! The grade requirements are higher + that maths test. Plus the MechEng interview was honestly a piece of cake, compared to the horror stories I've heard about Aero interviews..

Really?

I mean I was told the maths test at the interview didn't hold much weighting. Plus for me (since I applied as an international), I just had this

In fact I'd almost say I had fun with it :lol:

I thought the typical offer was the same A*A*A? :redface:
Really?

I mean I was told the maths test at the interview didn't hold much weighting. Plus for me (since I applied as an international), I just had this

With Aero, they don't lower the offer to A*AAA if you're doing 4 A-levels, though, right? They do in MechE~

And yeah, fair enough. I remember when you first said about your overseas interview and I was so puzzled about what it would entail :pierre: So glad it went well XD
Original post by tanyapotter
With Aero, they don't lower the offer to A*AAA if you're doing 4 A-levels, though, right? They do in MechE~

And yeah, fair enough. I remember when you first said about your overseas interview and I was so puzzled about what it would entail :pierre: So glad it went well XD

They do in Aero too! Mine was still A*A*A though I think cause my 4th subject was German (well maybe that's not the case - what was your offer?)
I take Maths,Physics and computer science. The requirements are A*A*A. If I get an A* in maths and CS will they except me, or does it have to be in physics?
Really?

Yeah the person probably means actual interviews at the university which is what I did. You got the overseas free-response task. I have heard of seriously crazy interviews and did they really tell you the Maths test didn't have much weighting? Maybe they told you that to reassure you because overseas people can't really be administered the test.
Original post by thatbrownkid17
Yeah the person probably means actual interviews at the university which is what I did. You got the overseas free-response task. I have heard of seriously crazy interviews and did they really tell you the Maths test didn't have much weighting? Maybe they told you that to reassure you because overseas people can't really be administered the test.

Current students told me that. Also why would they tell me that to reassure me if I'm not going to take the test? :tongue:
Current students told me that. Also why would they tell me that to reassure me if I'm not going to take the test? :tongue:

Oh I thought if the uni told you that, it might be that overseas students are worried they're disadvantaged since they can't take the Maths admissions test so the uni wants to reassure them they'll be given equal consideration.
Imperial just refused me through UCAS. Is there anyone who is going to Bristol?
Hello everyone, does anyone know whether there is a Facebook page for aero student freshers? There seems to be for most subjects but I can't find an aero one. Cheers in advance.

Quick Reply

Latest