The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Aeronautical Engineering 2016 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Got an interview on 26 Nov. Any idea how I should prepare for the Maths test?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Hey all! This thread has been a bit quiet, and I'm sure there are a lot of people who would find this helpful; i applied and went to an interview with imperial last year, where I got an offer, but just missed out a place on grades. So I am applying again this year while i'm doing my year in industry.

The maths test they give you is on a computer, about 30mins, and is there to make you think fast. Questions are around basic calculus, trigonometry etc; basically from the c1-c4 topics. Can't recall if there was any mechanics in there.

The interview involved a general discussion with the professor about your interests, why imperial, why aeronautics etc, as well as him asking you a few maths problems. I was asked to integrate and work with some sin/cos graphs. It then went on to mechanics and circular motion around the topic of a satellite orbiting a body.

Hope that's helpful, if anyone wants to know more, let me know, ill see what I can remember.

I know the first round of interview invitations have been sent this year, anyone else still waiting for interviews, and know when the second round will be?

Original post by alegonperez
Hi everybody!

As most people know, Imperial College has a good reputation for its Aeronautics degree, so why not make a thread for prospective students? It would be good if you introduced yourselves to other applicants, so that you may know someone the day you have your interview and therefore feel more comfy!

Feel free to ask any questions or post any news regarding interviews, offers, etc. As far as I know, nobody has been sent an invitation to interview yet, so there's nothing to worry about if you haven't still heard back from Imperial College.

I'll begin introducing myself. My name is Alejandro, I'm Spanish and I'm currently taking my second year of Bachillerato ("Spanish A Levels":wink:.

And in order for this thread to be less academic, I'll raise another issue. Most of you are currently on you 17s or even you 18s and are British I know there are many international students like me though. What do you think about nightlife in England (specially in London)? What kind of music do you usually listen to when you go out in the night? And what about latin music: reggaeton, salsa, bachata, etc.?

To conclude, good luck to everybody with your applications. I hope to see you all next year at Imperial :wink:
Original post by the_martian13
Hey all! This thread has been a bit quiet, and I'm sure there are a lot of people who would find this helpful; i applied and went to an interview with imperial last year, where I got an offer, but just missed out a place on grades. So I am applying again this year while i'm doing my year in industry.

The maths test they give you is on a computer, about 30mins, and is there to make you think fast. Questions are around basic calculus, trigonometry etc; basically from the c1-c4 topics. Can't recall if there was any mechanics in there.

The interview involved a general discussion with the professor about your interests, why imperial, why aeronautics etc, as well as him asking you a few maths problems. I was asked to integrate and work with some sin/cos graphs. It then went on to mechanics and circular motion around the topic of a satellite orbiting a body.

Hope that's helpful, if anyone wants to know more, let me know, ill see what I can remember.

I know the first round of interview invitations have been sent this year, anyone else still waiting for interviews, and know when the second round will be?

It's good to have a veteran among us. This topic is somehow quiet, but I think no one has had to wait to have an answer when they posted their question.

Regarding the second round of invitations, I don't know really. I'm also waiting for an invitation to interview, but I sent my application on the 15th September, so I think it's becoming rather unlikely as time goes by. Maybe in late-november or maybe already in January, I don't know really, but I keep hope.

When did you apply? There are so many of us still waiting for an interview...
I think my application was officially sent to UCAS by end of september. I called them up and they said that the first round of applicants were selected, and they were reviewing the second round (for those who have already applied of course), so we should be finding out a definite answer in the coming week, so there is hope!

Let me know if you hear anything! And how are people preparing for their interviews? Just going through maths questions, or have you found a good website? I think a mixture of technical practice as well as keeping on top of the aeronautics industry news will show that you are keen on the interest.

It's good to have a veteran among us. This topic is somehow quiet, but I think no one has had to wait to have an answer when they posted their question.

Regarding the second round of invitations, I don't know really. I'm also waiting for an invitation to interview, but I sent my application on the 15th September, so I think it's becoming rather unlikely as time goes by. Maybe in late-november or maybe already in January, I don't know really, but I keep hope.

When did you apply? There are so many of us still waiting for an interview...
Reply 24
The test for this is very easy! Basic C2-3
I think my application was officially sent to UCAS by end of september. I called them up and they said that the first round of applicants were selected, and they were reviewing the second round (for those who have already applied of course), so we should be finding out a definite answer in the coming week, so there is hope!

Let me know if you hear anything! And how are people preparing for their interviews? Just going through maths questions, or have you found a good website? I think a mixture of technical practice as well as keeping on top of the aeronautics industry news will show that you are keen on the interest.

Did they tell you that they'll send out the invitations for the second round next or is it just a guess? Also, I don't know how are they handling international applications, because afaik international applicants were the first ones to hear from imperial, I think a week before UK applicants.

Anyway, I think you should take the second round thing happening next week with a pinch of salt, as first round candidates haven't still had their interviews. So it wouldn't strike me much if they decided to start again sending invitations after interviewing applicants and deciding which of them they're going to give an offer.

But anyway, you're the one who contacted them regarding the application process, so you're bound to know much more than I do hahahaha
Well guys tomorrow is the big day for overseas! :biggrin: Wishing you all the best of luck!
Original post by Student403
Well guys tomorrow is the big day for overseas! :biggrin: Wishing you all the best of luck!

Good luck! Hope you can work out your problem/question without any problems. Don't forget to post here how good you think you' have done it when you send it!
Good luck! Hope you can work out your problem/question without any problems. Don't forget to post here how good you think you' have done it when you send it!

Thanks man same for you :smile: Just remember to be clear in your working out and be creative! I will do :biggrin: Hope you do amazingly!
Thanks man same for you :smile: Just remember to be clear in your working out and be creative! I will do :biggrin: Hope you do amazingly!

I'm still waiting for an invitation so I'll do what you suggest if I eventually get mine hahahaha
I'm still waiting for an invitation so I'll do what you suggest if I eventually get mine hahahaha

Oh noo! You haven't got it yet? Hopefully it gets sent soon :smile:
Hey guys

I was wondering if Imperial is okay with us researching a bit and using facts to present our answer to the question! Anyone have any idea on this?
Reply 32
What question?
Original post by ubisoft
What question?

Overseas applicants are given 1 week to complete an interview style technical question, because the interview is not easily arranged (cause we live abroad)
Reply 34
Overseas applicants are given 1 week to complete an interview style technical question, because the interview is not easily arranged (cause we live abroad)

Ah, not sure about overseas applicants.
Original post by ubisoft
Ah, not sure about overseas applicants.

Kk
Any current imperial aero who has gone through the overseas interview process / knows someone who has to answer this question?

Hey guys

I was wondering if Imperial is okay with us researching a bit and using facts to present our answer to the question! Anyone have any idea on this?

IMO we can use researched facts as long as they are not the "answer", but we use them for supporting the answer of our own
Original post by feracero
Any current imperial aero who has gone through the overseas interview process / knows someone who has to answer this question?

IMO we can use researched facts as long as they are not the "answer", but we use them for supporting the answer of our own

Okay thanks yeah. Tbh thinking about it, if we want to make assumptions (maybe about the mass of something), we're gonna have to look stuff up
Okay thanks yeah. Tbh thinking about it, if we want to make assumptions (maybe about the mass of something), we're gonna have to look stuff up

Hey! Is your oversees question is something related to vacuum? :biggrin::smile:

I have an Imperial Aero interview on 25th November guys! Is there anyone else here with the same interview date!!

HI there! I haven't started core 4 in school yet. Is there any specific topic you can recommend me from Core 4 which I should do before my interview?

Thank you in advance!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending