The Student Room Group

What is the f(x) notation?

Hi,

I would appreciate it if someone could explain what the significance and use of the 'f of x' notation is, particularly in graphs?
Is it just an alternative way of writing 'y' in e.g. y=2x+9?

Thanks
Original post by AKRYL
Hi,

I would appreciate it if someone could explain what the significance and use of the 'f of x' notation is, particularly in graphs?

Thanks

f(x)f(x) means 'function of x'

You are correct in saying that an alternative of y=2x+9 y=2x+9\
is f(x)=2x+9f(x)=2x+9

you can use anything;

g(x), h(x)g(x),\ h(x) etc
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by edothero
f(x)f(x) means 'function of x'

You are correct in saying that an alternative of y=2x+9 y=2x+9\
is f(x)=2x+9f(x)=2x+9

you can use anything;

g(x), h(x)g(x), \ h(x)  \ etc

Can you elaborate on what you mean by 'function of x'?
Reply 3
Original post by AKRYL
Hi,

Thanks

Yeah, pretty much, f of x means function of x as someone else said previously.

It means that your rule that maps x2x+9x \mapsto 2x+9 is a function/rule that sends your xx value to another value using a certain rule.

With this, you can then see that f(x)=2x+af(x) = 2x + a is a function of xx and so aa is a constant, or other such subtleties.
Original post by AKRYL
Can you elaborate on what you mean by 'function of x'?

f(x)=2x+9f(x)=2x+9

f(x)f(x) essentially means, when xx goes in, f(x)f(x) comes out

Its a function with a set 'criteria' if you'd like.

For this particular function:

x2x(2x+9)x \rightarrow 2x \rightarrow (2x+9)
As input xx goes in, it gets multiplied by 2, followed by an addition of 9, then outputs f(x)f(x)

So when x=5x=5,

(5)2(5)[2(5)+9](5) \rightarrow 2(5) \rightarrow [2(5)+9]

f(x)=19f(x)=19

Like I said before, this could easy be g(x)g(x) which again represents 'g is a function of x'
Don't be thrown off by the ff.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Zacken
Yeah, pretty much, f of x means function of x as someone else said previously.

It means that your rule that maps x2x+9x \mapsto 2x+9 is a function/rule that sends your xx value to another value using a certain rule.

With this, you can then see that f(x)=2x+af(x) = 2x + a is a function of xx and so aa is a constant, or other such subtleties.

So is '2x+9' the rule that is applied to the value contained within the brackets of f(x) in order to give you the value of y?
Reply 6
f(x)=2x+9f(x)=2x+9

f(x)f(x) essentially means, when xx goes in, f(x)f(x) comes out

Its a function with a set 'criteria' if you'd like.

For this particular function:

x2x(2x+9)x \rightarrow 2x \rightarrow (2x+9)
As input xx goes in, it gets multiplied by 2, followed by an addition of 9, then outputs f(x)f(x)

So when x=5x=5,

(5)2(5)[2(5)+9](5) \rightarrow 2(5) \rightarrow [2(5)+9]

f(x)=19f(x)=19

Like I said before, this could easy be g(x)g(x) which again represents 'g is a function of x'
Don't be thrown off by the ff.

So is '2x+9' the rule or set of instructions that is applied to the value contained within the brackets of f(x) ,in order to give you the value of y?
Original post by AKRYL
So is '2x+9' the rule that is applied to the value contained within the brackets of f(x) in order to give you the value of y?

Yes, that is correct

The 2x+92x+9 is applied to the input.

So for example

f(2)=2(2)+9f(2) = 2(2)+9

f(2)=13\therefore f(2) = 13

y=13y = 13

So you would know that when x=2x=2, y=13y=13
And you can plot that easily.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AKRYL
Hi,

Thanks

f(x) notation essentially shows the input value for x (or whatever letter chosen to represent the variable of the equation)
E.g.
y=x+69
f(-4)=-4+69-->when x=-4, y=65
Reply 9
Yes, that is correct

The 2x+92x+9 is applied to the input.

So for example

f(2)=2(2)+9f(2) = 2(2)+9

f(2)=13\therefore f(2) = 13

y=13y = 13

Ok, but what does the 'f' part of 'f(x)' represent?
Also, why is that when you write the equation of a curve, using this notation, you have to write the part highlighted in bold y=f(x)=2x+3 and not simply f(x)=2x+3?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AKRYL
Also, why is that when you write the equation of a curve, using this notation, you have to write the part highlighted in bold y=f(x)=2x+3?

Nothing important , its just a way of labeling the function.

You could do

f(x)=2x+9f(x) = 2x+9
g(x)=2x+9g(x) = 2x+9
h(x)=2x+9h(x) = 2x+9

It all means the same thing.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AKRYL
Also, why is that when you write the equation of a curve, using this notation, you have to write the part highlighted in bold y=f(x)=2x+3 and not simply f(x)=2x+3?

The function. What everyone else has been trying to explain.

The f(x)f(x) is just the name of the function you could use any letter instead of f to indicate a different function, where you have two. So f(x)=3x2 f(x) = 3x^2 and g(x)=2x1g(x) = 2x-1
Original post by AKRYL

To clarify further, f is the function and we write f(x) to be the value of the function at x. So technically f(x) isn't the function it's the value of the output of the function when the input is x.
(edited 8 years ago)
Correct me if I'm wrong but a function is like a rule which affects any value of the independent variable (which is x here).

Quick Reply

Latest