The Student Room Group

University course VS University Reputation

Hi guys,

I applied for UK universities for 2016 and got offers for Nottingham (Economics) and Warwick (Management).

I was wondering as to what would yield generally a better university experience and help me in the future.

Warwick has the overall reputation and name as a great university while Nottingham is also a good university but not on the same level reputation wise. However, Economics at Nottingham is a more traditional subject and favoured by employers.

What would you suggest is a better option?
Original post by gerrardcoutinho
Hi guys,

I applied for UK universities for 2016 and got offers for Nottingham (Economics) and Warwick (Management).

I was wondering as to what would yield generally a better university experience and help me in the future.

Warwick has the overall reputation and name as a great university while Nottingham is also a good university but not on the same level reputation wise. However, Economics at Nottingham is a more traditional subject and favoured by employers.

Well this is just a thought, but if you chose Warwick, then if you felt like you made a mistake with your degree choice, you could switch to something seen as a more traditional course (if you do well in the first year) after, but that is a risk of course. Do you know if you prefer Economics or Management, putting to the side the reputation of both courses.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by OrionMusicNet
Well this is just a thought, but if you chose Warwick, then if you felt like you made a mistake with your degree choice, you could switch to something seen as a more traditional course (if you do well in the first year) after, but that is a risk of course. Do you know if you prefer Economics or Management, putting to the side the reputation of both courses.

I prefer Economics as a subject but for the future I am most likely going into accounting or finance so they are both applicable.
Reply 3

Base your decision on whether you will feel better being able to say that you went to a 'more prestigious' university. In the subject fields you mention I cannot see employers being swayed by one of those unis over the other.

The degree grade and relevance to the position applied for is going to be the employers primary concern, followed by the experience you have accrued in the sector.
I prefer Economics as a subject but for the future I am most likely going into accounting or finance so they are both applicable.

You should be able to switch to A&F from Mgmt in Warwick.
Original post by GandalfWhite
You should be able to switch to A&F from Mgmt in Warwick.

I dont have the required subjects for A&F (HL math in IB) and I would rather study management as it is a more recognised degree.
I dont have the required subjects for A&F (HL math in IB) and I would rather study management as it is a more recognised degree.

You said you'd rather study management and you'd rather go to Warwick; is it not obvious to do management at Warwick.
Original post by Diego Costa
You said you'd rather study management and you'd rather go to Warwick; is it not obvious to do management at Warwick.

I mean't i'd rather study management to A&F. Betweens Econs and Management, I would rather study Economics but im just worried mainly about giving up a really good university like Warwick.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending