The Student Room Group

Are we born to die?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by elen90
No, we're born to procreate.

And then die.

How do you know we're born to procreate?
Reply 21
Original post by TheTruthTeller
Not the Lana Del Ray song. I mean assuming life starts at the moment of conception every second after that is one second closer to death. Therefore we technically are not living but are dying. Discuss. Also we're all gonna die one day. Sad times ;(

It's called mortality, we are designed that way to make us take seriously the "glad tidings of great joy", our creator's offer of his Life and immortality.
Hence the need to be "born again" by receiving His Spirit.

The only "sad" people are those who ignore what God is saying and doing.

Here's an invitation for you to come and see what you are missing.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by NJA
It's called mortality, we are designed that way to make us take seriously the "glad tidings of great joy", our creator's offer of his Life and immortality.
Hence the need to be "born again" by receiving His Spirit.

The only "sad" people are those who ignore what God is saying and doing.

Here's an invitation for you to come and see what you are missing.

The above is another advertisement (one of at least 34 on here by NJA since 2009) for The Revival Fellowship, an organisation created in Australia in 1995.

The is the "Who we are" page on their web site:

Screenshot - 061115 - 15:33:02.png

From Wikipedia: "The Revival Fellowship has large groups in various Third World countries, including Papua New Guinea, where there are many claims of its members being healed of HIV/AIDS[10][11] and being raised from the dead[].[12]" So they claim they can miraculously cure AIDS and do resurrection. Seriously: avoid these lying deranged lunatics like the plague they claim to be able to cure. Here is some more dangerous nonsense from these people, such as claiming to be able to cure cancer: link. In case you were unaware, faith healers make a living from causing unnecessary deaths. Beware of such organisations.

They also claim the British comprise the lost tribes of Israel and, therefore, so are the white people of USA, Canada and Australia. This is part of white supremacy philosophy.
(edited 8 years ago)
everyone here will be dead in time
Reply 24
Original post by Simes
The above is another advertisement (one of at least 34 on here by NJA since 2009) for The Revival Fellowship, an organisation created in Australia in 1995.
No, the name was adopted then, the organisation continued as it had done for many years previously.

Original post by Simes
where there are many claims of its members being healed ...Seriously: avoid these lying deranged lunatics like the plague they claim to be able to cure. Here is some more dangerous nonsense from these people, such as claiming to be able to cure cancer: ...

The Pharisees flung out the same ignorant accusations toward Jesus and the early church. Who was right then?
Who were the dangerous people to be avoided?

Here's a clip from a recent rally in PNG.

But even if you can't accept physical healings, it was the nature of God I saw in people that made he ditch my unbelief that had got me nowhere.

Instead of just listening to the opinions of people who had nothing to offer I went to meet the people for myself, I was open to correction.

Original post by Simes
They also claim the British comprise the lost tribes of Israel and, therefore, so are the white people of USA, Canada and Australia. This is part of white supremacy philosophy.

Just because some politically-motivated people selectively use "Christianity" or part of the bible (or other writings) to support their actions does not mean that anyone else who uses that title or writings is like them.

Of course most students are sharp enough to see that for themselves. You obviously aren't and there may be one or 2 who may be affected by you pulling the wool over people's eyes.
Reply 25
Original post by NJA
Of course most students are sharp enough to see that for themselves. You obviously aren't and there may be one or 2 who may be affected by you pulling the wool over people's eyes.
That kind of personal discrediting and attack against me won't work. I'll over-run you with facts. After all, you are the one following a "religion" that forbids people to investigate other religions, and claims only your tiny cult is the one telling the truth.

All those links and accusations I made come from your own organisation.
I like to think of death not as a cycle but a flow towards something. We are all a part of that flow yet we are unable to control it. We all contribute towards it yet nothing is given back individually. To surpass this flow something must be done. Death should be transcended. Yet we must appreciate it for mediating balance within that flow. Some people are a threat towards personal goals. Death is inevitably above us so for now just let it happen be happy that you won the race in your mommas womb.
Original post by TheTruthTeller
Not the Lana Del Ray song. I mean assuming life starts at the moment of conception every second after that is one second closer to death. Therefore we technically are not living but are dying. Discuss. Also we're all gonna die one day. Sad times ;(

Strictly speaking, it is true: people are born to die one day. But its up to you to create that time between brith and death by our own. Sounds simple? yeah, but it is.
Reply 28
Deep. You should consider becoming a philosopher.
Original post by the bear
everyone here will be dead in time

That is right, but it is - in a certain degree - not true when people are saying they are not able to choose the day of death. In a natural way, its correct. But when a person commits suicide. Its incorrect.
Reply 30
Yup. And when you die you'll just be a mass of rotting organic matter, slowly decaying away in the ground.

But YOLO and what not.
Reply 32
Original post by Simes
That kind of personal discrediting and attack against me won't work. I'll over-run you with facts. After all, you are the one following a "religion"

Jesus came to do away with the need for religion (formal or home-made) by bringing in father-son relationship with God.

Your idea of what constitutes "facts" has been shown to be whatever false accusation or prejudice you can copy & paste or devise in your heart (what you call "investigation") - like it or not, your religion.

Original post by Simes
that forbids people to investigate other religions,
Nonsense, members often investigate popular or the latest ideas about "God" and even give presentations
... but how would you know? Have you ever set foot in one of our meetings?

If the truth is that you havn't, then you forbid yourself from properly investigating and your comments are worthless, I probably won't bother replying (or even reading) your response any more.

Original post by Simes
and claims only your tiny cult is the one telling the truth.
We have never claimed that.

Original post by Simes
All those links and accusations I made come from your own organisation.
I would say I'm amazed that you believe that, but then again, I'm not.
(edited 8 years ago)
Well, let's just wait until we develop biological immortality and are like the LotR elves.
No, I don't think we're born to do anything. Death is just something that happens to us due to the nature of our existence. Sure we are dying, but that's not why we were born.
Original post by Zargabaath
No, I don't think we're born to do anything. Death is just something that happens to us due to the nature of our existence. Sure we are dying, but that's not why we were born.

If we are not born to do anything, not even to die, then what? is the reason that our parents just wanted having kids, not willing to abort or something like that?
Original post by Kallisto
If we are not born to do anything, not even to die, then what? is the reason that our parents just wanted having kids, not willing to abort or something like that?

IMO, there is absolutely no objective reason for our existence. We're just here. Same as a pebble buried in the mud or a speck of dust on the moon of some distant planet, orbiting a sun 100 million light years away.
Reply 37
Yes, we are
Original post by Zargabaath
IMO, there is absolutely no objective reason for our existence. We're just here. Same as a pebble buried in the mud or a speck of dust on the moon of some distant planet, orbiting a sun 100 million light years away.

Would you agree with me that people are existing because they were begotten in a sexual procedure?
Life is like books; the ending is fairly important but it doesn't define the quality of the whole novel.

Quick Reply

Latest