The Student Room Group

Student Finance = Chocolate Tea Pot - I need HELP

I did not take any GCSE's at all then a year later did a GNVQ & re took math & English GCSE's. I then did nothing after that, I have suffered mental illnesses & was in a major RTA.
I want to get my life back on track and get an education now I am in a position to do so.
I enrolled and got a place studying a HND in computer programming. I had to take a test in maths and English to be able to gain entry. I have been on my course
Now 2 months.
I applied for student finance on 2nd September. I called them to ask what evidence they needed from me. They was not too clear about this on the phone so I sent them everything I had even if they did not need it.
My application had been approved, they had received my signed declaration and had confirmation from my place of study that I was in attendance, my finance was in place and I was due to be paid on the 14th September. Although this time came and gone still no payment.
3 weeks after I realised they had my national insurance number kind of wrong they had a C on the end when it was a D.
I called them they admitted it was their mistake. I said can't they correct it as my correct NI NUMBER WAS ON ALL MY EVEIDENCE.
THEY SAID NO I NEEDED TO SIGN AND SEND A FORM CORRECTING THIS ALTHOUGH IT WAS THEIR FAULT.
I did this and they received it on a Monday, an advisor lied to me and said they would send it off to check and would take a week.
2weeks later they said to me sorry we forgot.
How can they forget something like this. They had told me I needed to send a letter from my doctor stating I am independent. I did this going on their advice and paid £25 for my doctor to do me a letter. 2weeks later they get back to me sayi it is not good enough, they needed to know more about care and leaving care.
At this point I went crazy on the phone to them how is that even relevant I left care at 14 years old.
I again got another letter from my doctor another £25. Waited a week and then they told me that there was another account in my name something I knew nothing about.
I complained to a manager who told me I did not need to do anything at all he would personally transfer all the info on to one account. Ok a week later he had only transferred my email and phone number.
I complained again & was promised I would be high priority as also my Disabled grant application was over its processing time.
I had to re submit my application all over again and send my evidence again.
By this time I'm pulling my hair out.
A week later they "accidentally' deleted my application :-0
I was told I had to do it all over again. I did this by this time having no hair left and going crazy at them.
I was supposed to be paid on the 14th September. My place of study are waiting for the tuition fee.
A week later my application was finally approved, now every day I log in it changes everyday from approved payments scheduled to awaiting confirmation.
I have made 47 complaints I have emailed them 267 times.
And now they are saying I am not eligible for finance because I have done a HND before I have no idea where they got this info from as it is not correct.
They told me I did a HND when I was 17. Now clearly this is impossible to do at that age without doing a diploma first.
They said I needed to contact a college and get them to confirm that I did not do a HND and also contact edexcel which I have done both and they both confirmed I do not have a HND.
I have complained until Im blue in the face for them to sort out their errors. They are still not sorting this out. They are still saying they do not believe I don't have a HND.
Even though they have received emails from edexcel stating I don't hold any qualifications with them at all.
I phone up to make a complaint and they refuse to take my complaint as I have already made over 40! I'm sorry but I never knew there was a limit on complaints someone can make.
***SOMEONE please help I do not know where to turn to now for help, I am at risk of having to drop out of my course and all I want to do is get an education and get my life back on track****
Original post by LeeWestwick
I did not take any GCSE's at all then a year later did a GNVQ & re took math & English GCSE's. I then did nothing after that, I have suffered mental illnesses & was in a major RTA.
I want to get my life back on track and get an education now I am in a position to do so.
I enrolled and got a place studying a HND in computer programming. I had to take a test in maths and English to be able to gain entry. I have been on my course
Now 2 months.
I applied for student finance on 2nd September. I called them to ask what evidence they needed from me. They was not too clear about this on the phone so I sent them everything I had even if they did not need it.
My application had been approved, they had received my signed declaration and had confirmation from my place of study that I was in attendance, my finance was in place and I was due to be paid on the 14th September. Although this time came and gone still no payment.
3 weeks after I realised they had my national insurance number kind of wrong they had a C on the end when it was a D.
I called them they admitted it was their mistake. I said can't they correct it as my correct NI NUMBER WAS ON ALL MY EVEIDENCE.
THEY SAID NO I NEEDED TO SIGN AND SEND A FORM CORRECTING THIS ALTHOUGH IT WAS THEIR FAULT.
I did this and they received it on a Monday, an advisor lied to me and said they would send it off to check and would take a week.
2weeks later they said to me sorry we forgot.
How can they forget something like this. They had told me I needed to send a letter from my doctor stating I am independent. I did this going on their advice and paid £25 for my doctor to do me a letter. 2weeks later they get back to me sayi it is not good enough, they needed to know more about care and leaving care.
At this point I went crazy on the phone to them how is that even relevant I left care at 14 years old.
I again got another letter from my doctor another £25. Waited a week and then they told me that there was another account in my name something I knew nothing about.
I complained to a manager who told me I did not need to do anything at all he would personally transfer all the info on to one account. Ok a week later he had only transferred my email and phone number.
I complained again & was promised I would be high priority as also my Disabled grant application was over its processing time.
I had to re submit my application all over again and send my evidence again.
By this time I'm pulling my hair out.
A week later they "accidentally' deleted my application :-0
I was told I had to do it all over again. I did this by this time having no hair left and going crazy at them.
I was supposed to be paid on the 14th September. My place of study are waiting for the tuition fee.
A week later my application was finally approved, now every day I log in it changes everyday from approved payments scheduled to awaiting confirmation.
I have made 47 complaints I have emailed them 267 times.
And now they are saying I am not eligible for finance because I have done a HND before I have no idea where they got this info from as it is not correct.
They told me I did a HND when I was 17. Now clearly this is impossible to do at that age without doing a diploma first.
They said I needed to contact a college and get them to confirm that I did not do a HND and also contact edexcel which I have done both and they both confirmed I do not have a HND.
I have complained until Im blue in the face for them to sort out their errors. They are still not sorting this out. They are still saying they do not believe I don't have a HND.
Even though they have received emails from edexcel stating I don't hold any qualifications with them at all.
I phone up to make a complaint and they refuse to take my complaint as I have already made over 40! I'm sorry but I never knew there was a limit on complaints someone can make.
***SOMEONE please help I do not know where to turn to now for help, I am at risk of having to drop out of my course and all I want to do is get an education and get my life back on track****

Have you spoken to your students' union's advice service? They are often able to advocate on your behalf to SFE.
Reply 2
I will try this Thank you, I just cant seem to understand how they can say I am not entitled due to their error but they are refusing to fix their problem. I feel like I can not move on with my life
Reply 3
I have spoke with my student services & they have tried phoning STF on my behalf STF even hanged up on them. they are reading of a note on their system that says they cant not speak about my account or deal with me. My STF account is with the CEO of student finance, & also they are still saying I am not eligible. Does anyone know where I can get help ASAP I need this STF to be able to live & continue studying or I am not going to be able to study at all anywhere. surely I am entitled to this they can not refuse me STF???

Chocolate TEA POT STF!!!!
Reply 4
You need to move past repeated complaints and progress to the formal SF Appeals process. Links to guidance and the official form are at the bottom of this page:

http://www.slc.co.uk/contact/making-a-complaint.aspx

Your Student Union should be able to help filling it in if you need that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending