The Student Room Group

Semester abroad...long distance relationship, help!

In a few weeks I will apply to do a semester abroad.
My two top choices are in Spain and Australia, although ultimately I'd really love to go to Australia and have the opportunity to travel on the east coast, New Zealand and possibly even Indonesia!
Only problem is I'm already in a long distance relationship in the UK which is proving difficult enough only seeing him once a month or so, going to Australia would mean not seeing him for at least half a year. Spain would obviously mean not seeing each other either, but there would be the possibility of a cheap visit or two, whereas Australia may end up killing off the relationship completely.
The fact I have to apply for this now feels like it may be an expiry date. We've been together nearly 3 years and went travelling for 6 months together. Do I pass up the chance of going to Australia (or even Spain) and assume we'll make it through at least first and second year at uni, or go for it and risk losing him?
My boyfriend is in New Zealand and I'm in the UK, and we're managing fine. You just need to keep in contact, be honest and open, and FaceTime/Skype as much as possible. As long as you're both committed, it will work
I did a year abroad in the US during my degree. I had been with my boyfriend for a year and we survived the long-distance thing with no issues. We are coming up to our 7 year anniversary now :biggrin:

The key was regular contact via Skype. We tried to chat every day, but that wasn't always possible obviously. He visited me for New Year, so we weren't apart the whole time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending