The Student Room Group

Can I do just three AS-Levels? help me please my teachers won't

Currently I'm in the lower sixth and studying English lit, government and politics, history and biology.

Biology demands much more revision, engagement etc. than my other subjects and I can't really be arsed with it anymore - can I drop it in the middle of my AS/lower sixth year? Is that a thing people can do?

Universities require only 3 A-Levels, right?
And how will this impact upon my UCAS points; whatever the f those are?

thanks nerds :-)
Reply 1
You can choose to do three. I do three and it's fine.
Reply 2
There's nothing wrong with doing 3 A Levels - several of my friend's don't have a 4th AS (they just withdrew from the course with permission from the Head of Sixth Form and the Head of Department for that subject). Some Uni's (mostly Russell Group/Redbrick etc) may expect to see a 4th AS, I'd check with a career's advisor or the Uni's themselves further down the line if that's an issue for them. UCAS points are another way for Uni's to issue offers, and they work on the basis of 120 points for an A at A Level, 100 points for a B etc, and an AS is worth half the points of a full A Level (60 points for an A etc) - it's just another way for Uni's to issue offers to allow more flexibility for candidates, and obviously having the extra points from the 4th AS would bump it up, but likewise it shouldn't pose a barrier. Although I have heard the UCAS points system is changing for 2017, so idk.

The most important thing is you get the best grades you can from subjects you enjoy - if you seriously hate Biology, then there's no point you doing it, better to concentrate on the ones you want to study :smile:
Usually at year 13 you can drop one of your options to do only 3 A-levels anyway because most uni's just ask for 3 grades, having the extra AS level would help a little but its not essential to have

Quick Reply

Latest