The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP2 Official 2016 Exam Thread - 8th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Emmak26
For de moivre's theorem, do we need to know the proof for both positive and negative integers? I mean positive i can manage it's just proof by induction by negative is just like extraaa...

Nah. Just positive. Even negative is just proof by induction, BTW.
Hi does anyone know whether substitutions like these could be on FP2? http://madasmaths.com/archive/maths_booklets/further_topics/integration/1st_order_differential_equations_substitutions.pdf I don't think I've seen anything similar in past papers, but not too sure! Thanks :smile:
Original post by economicss
Hi does anyone know whether substitutions like these could be on FP2? http://madasmaths.com/archive/maths_booklets/further_topics/integration/1st_order_differential_equations_substitutions.pdf I don't think I've seen anything similar in past papers, but not too sure! Thanks :smile:

Well yeh transforming de's to solvable de's can come up, but they will give you a sub so all you need to do is substitute it which is easy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Well yeh transforming de's to solvable de's can come up, but they will give you a sub so all you need to do is substitute it which is easy.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile:
Question 6a in the june 2009 paper: in the MS - the first step they do in the fancy brackets, I dont get what we're doing to change |wi| to |w|? where does the i go?

https://8dedc505ac3fba908c50836f59059ccce5cd0f1e.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYdHIxUkJmdndfMlE/June%202009%20MS%20-%20FP2%20Edexcel.pdf
Original post by imnoteinstein
Question 6a in the june 2009 paper: in the MS - the first step they do in the fancy brackets, I dont get what we're doing to change |wi| to |w|? where does the i go?

https://8dedc505ac3fba908c50836f59059ccce5cd0f1e.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYdHIxUkJmdndfMlE/June%202009%20MS%20-%20FP2%20Edexcel.pdf

the magnitude of i is 1, so if it is in the modulus brackets you can just get rid of it
Reply 346
How is FP2 going for everyone?

I keep getting 70/75+ on every past paper I lay my hands on (bar one - 63/75 :laugh:), I hope the actual exam goes as well. FP2 papers are quite repetitive, hence the high grade boundaries.

Chapter 3 transformations can be quite difficult for me sometimes (this is where I slip up the most), DE's are the easiest IMO
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by edothero
How is FP2 going for everyone?

It's going okay so far, I think. :smile:
Please could explain question 52b please, I understand up to finding the value of cos squared theta but I don't understand the last line of the mark scheme! Thanks :smile:
Attachment not found
image.jpg
Original post by economicss
Please could explain question 52b please, I understand up to finding the value of cos squared theta but I don't understand the last line of the mark scheme! Thanks :smile:
Attachment not found
image.jpg

It's just saying that cos (3pi/10) is smaller than cos (pi/10) so cos(3pi/10) is the smaller root (5-sqrt(5)) instead of being the bigger root (5 + sqrt(5)).
Original post by Zacken
It's just saying that cos (3pi/10) is smaller than cos (pi/10) so cos(3pi/10) is the smaller root (5-sqrt(5)) instead of being the bigger root (5 + sqrt(5)).

Thank you :smile:
Reply 351
More or less a month left for the exam, good luck to all!
Got a mock tomorrow and have only briefly looked at the first 5 chapters. Pray 4 me
Original post by JoshC98
Got a mock tomorrow and have only briefly looked at the first 5 chapters. Pray 4 me

It's just a mock, doesn't really matter this close to the exam, does it?
Original post by JoshC98

“The Lord bless you and keep you; The Lord make His face shine upon you, And be gracious to you; The Lord lift up His countenance upon you, And give you peace.”’
Can someone explain this to me please?
Screenshot_1.png
Attachment not found
Original post by Chirstos Ioannou
Can someone explain this to me please?
Screenshot_1.png
Attachment not found

The first step is to find z in terms of w. They have then expanded z into z = x + iy and w into w = u + iv. Next, they multiplied both sides by (1 - u + iv)/(1 - u + iv) to get rid of any imaginary numbers on the bottom, and then split the resulting fraction into real and imaginary parts.

The question asks for y = 2x, so they equated the imaginary part of this (taking out i) with 2 lots of the real part of this. The denominators cancelled and the resulting algebra worked to give the equation of the circle.

If you want me to go into more detail on a certain stage just say. In the exam, they would usually ask you a question which requires this method (where the algebra is usually more complicated) which requires you expanding z, or will give you a modulus of z substitution where you make z the subject and take the modulus of both sides (this is far more common and easy). Some questions may be worded slightly weirdly though, so you may need to use your initiative to answer them, but they're usually show questions.
Original post by Craig1998
The first step is to find z in terms of w. They have then expanded z into z = x + iy and w into w = u + iv. Next, they multiplied both sides by (1 - u + iv)/(1 - u + iv) to get rid of any imaginary numbers on the bottom, and then split the resulting fraction into real and imaginary parts.

The question asks for y = 2x, so they equated the imaginary part of this (taking out i) with 2 lots of the real part of this. The denominators cancelled and the resulting algebra worked to give the equation of the circle.

If you want me to go into more detail on a certain stage just say. In the exam, they would usually ask you a question which requires this method (where the algebra is usually more complicated) which requires you expanding z, or will give you a modulus of z substitution where you make z the subject and take the modulus of both sides (this is far more common and easy). Some questions may be worded slightly weirdly though, so you may need to use your initiative to answer them, but they're usually show questions.

Great answer, thank you very much! I think i got it :wink:
hi guys. Im really struggling on transformation questions (chapter 3). I barely get any questions correct. When I attempt them I sometimes get stuck in the middle and dont know what to do to solve them. Any help???
Original post by arks_007
hi guys. Im really struggling on transformation questions (chapter 3). I barely get any questions correct. When I attempt them I sometimes get stuck in the middle and dont know what to do to solve them. Any help???

These are quite helpful as he goes in depth :smile: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnKlbC4ho-u-31_plskzClR4POCd-UmGB

After getting your head around it you just need to do a lot of practice - it's a hard topic

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending