The Student Room Group

Feminist MP scoffs at International Mens' Day

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alesha1991
I think her comments about an 'International Mens Day' being like a White History Month or Able Bodied Day sums it up. No one's denying that there are issues which affect men more than women but the fact is that most positions of power & authority are still held by men so you can't really compare it to International Womens Day. The difference between feminism and the 'Mens Rights' movement is simple. The first is about campaigning for equality between men & women, the second is about justifying misogyny & whining about any criticism of male privilege. You only have to look at those comments by Fourteen Words & kakos_anthropos to see the sort of people the Mens' Rights cause attracts.

Let's play the anti-feminist card: Why do you assume they identify as men?!
Original post by billydisco
And most hairdressers, beauticians and dancers are women- I don't hear you all trying to increase equality with men in these fields?
The top hairdressers and dancers are fabulously gay men, so men are still privileged!
Original post by Bupdeeboowah
The top hairdressers and dancers are fabulously gay men, so men are still privileged!

Heterosexual men aren't! Clearly there should be a movement to increase the number of men in those positions and heterosexual men at the top!
Original post by Jammy Duel
Heterosexual men aren't! Clearly there should be a movement to increase the number of men in those positions and heterosexual men at the top!
Maybe it's, dare I say, their choice that they don't want to do so?

*feminist minds explode*
Original post by SignFromDog
http://metro.co.uk/2015/10/30/mp-says-everyday-is-international-mens-day-and-is-bombarded-with-abuse-proving-her-point-5471202/

She says that "everyday is Mens' Day".

Now I personally do believe that there is much work to do in bringing equality for men and women. But equality cuts both ways.

There are real issues surrounding mens' lower life expectancy, that they often do the most dangerous jobs in society, and the hugely disproportionate suicide rate where young men kill themselves in astonishing numbers. There are real mens health issues like prostate cancer and depression.

These deserve to be looked at, and this MP's response suggests to me that perhaps she sees this more as a kind of tribal fight; a matter of which "side" you're on.

Having an international mens' day and focusing on male issues for that day is absolutely sensible and the right thing to do.

I very much sympathise with her. I think it was more Philip Davies asking for it (he voted for the tampon tax recently) than the idea of actually looking at the issues faced by men in this day and age.
Maybe it's, dare I say, their choice that they don't want to do so?

*feminist minds explode*

Time to continue the stupid feminist logic:

Well that's only because society forces them down different routes and then stops them getting anywhere if they do chose the careers listed by the other poster!
Original post by Jammy Duel
Time to continue the stupid feminist logic:

Well that's only because society forces them down different routes and then stops them getting anywhere if they do chose the careers listed by the other poster!
WE MUST BREAK DOWN THE PATRIARCHY!

Force young boys to wear girl's clothes! Shame mothers who quit their careers to take care of their young children! Paint our hair blue!
WE MUST BREAK DOWN THE PATRIARCHY!

Force young boys to wear girl's clothes! Shame mothers who quit their careers to take care of their young children! Paint our hair blue!

blue hair is fit tho
Original post by Saoirse:3
Men's lower life expectancy is mainly thanks to this thing called biology, there's nothing to be done about it. To be fair we get ****ed over with periods, childbirth and menopause so it evens up really!

Well, not quite true. Diet, looking after their own health, more risk taking behaviour, more dangerous jobs etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think the guy who was in parliament arguing for a debate on men's issues raised some perfectly fair examples, and I don't see why time shouldn't be set aside for them.

As for a 'men's day' in general... I think there is one. It's just that no-one pays any attention to it. Which seems to me to be fair enough. I don't pay any attention to it either. Then again, I don't pay any attention to women's day.

Yes, it would be, if you defined your terms precisely as to make it so.

This is just fiat.
(edited 8 years ago)
Fascist communist and free market fundie academia was all very sophisticated too but it didn't exactly translate on the ground in real life did it?
Even if the content of 'liberalism' as usually understood in academic literature were totally settled and uncontroversial, that wouldn't change the fact that your argument is one of fiat in this context. The problem is that you are arguing about words rather than about meaning. If you really believe that you have satisfactorily addressed that poster's meaning I don't know what to say to you.

Sticking rigidly to definitions like that, where they are not known to and/or accepted by all parties, is not an effective way to communicate. On the other hand, it is a very effective way to show people on the internet that you have read lots of philosophy books, so if that was your aim I congratulate you.
International men's day.
Lol
Then simply understand that you are not meaningfully engaging anyone, and that your posts are nothing but self-indulgent irrelevancies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending