The Student Room Group

A-level choices URGENT

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ximena Roldan
I did spanish and physics, I get an A in Spanish, i am spanish and I couldnt get A*, (i was close tho) anyway its good if you like the lenguaje because its more difficult than GCSE, my friend get A in GCSE spanish (she is english) and probably she will get a C or D for her A2, do it if you like it, but its a lot of writting.

and physics its too hard! my as results:
A music
B maths
C art
E physics
and A in A2spanish

physics As its a lot of electricity, particles and mechanics, I do prefer maths.
A2 physics its Mechanics, electricity and a lot of maths questions.
Original post by Shraya Amin
hiya im choosing my options soon, and i would like a bit of feedback on whether they would be beneficial or not, i am leaning towards a medical field.
im thinking Biology Chemistry physics (i am a a* gcse maths, but i dont enjoy it) and Spanish.
But next year they are taking out as and a2 so all the exams are at the end and cannot drop any of them.
Am a making any bad choices (esp spanish and physics)

Don't choose subjects you don't enjoy. I got a*s in biology and chemistry, and picked those two subjects, only to drop them for economics (a subject i didn't do at gcse).
some unis might require maths at AS if you're applying for medicine - my friend had that problem this year, but she did still manage to find 4 to apply to. just something to take into account. if you're thinking of applying for any science subject they will always say that maths is desired so i would recommend biology, chemistry, physics and then either maths or a semi-science like psychology. physics is like maths in that it uses mathematical concepts, but you won't learn pure maths in physics unless its relevant to the physics course, so i would recommend doing maths as well as physics. spanish probably won't count against you in uni applications, but the more science based subjects you do the better.
if you don't enjoy maths then trust me don't pick it I made that mistake:frown:
and it gets really ugly at A level....
:afraid::ahhhhh:
Someone might have already said this (only scanned through) but some colleges/schools won't let you do physics without maths? I know mine wouldn't because that was my plan originally...
Original post by ElizabethAnne98
some unis might require maths at AS if you're applying for medicine - my friend had that problem this year, but she did still manage to find 4 to apply to. just something to take into account. if you're thinking of applying for any science subject they will always say that maths is desired so i would recommend biology, chemistry, physics and then either maths or a semi-science like psychology. physics is like maths in that it uses mathematical concepts, but you won't learn pure maths in physics unless its relevant to the physics course, so i would recommend doing maths as well as physics. spanish probably won't count against you in uni applications, but the more science based subjects you do the better.

are you sure this is true???
because i really want to do medicine and was about to drop maths??
all the unis i have looked at say you only need chemistry and another science/maths subject....
OMG:s-smilie:
Original post by Ishea16
are you sure this is true???
because i really want to do medicine and was about to drop maths??
all the unis i have looked at say you only need chemistry and another science/maths subject....
OMG:s-smilie:

not 100% sure, just something my friend had said that there were one or two that required maths (like cambridge i think?). dont let it stop you, you can absolutely apply for medicine without maths because i know several people who have and the entry requirements might have changed for your year
not 100% sure, just something my friend had said that there were one or two that required maths (like cambridge i think?). dont let it stop you, you can absolutely apply for medicine without maths because i know several people who have and the entry requirements might have changed for your year

hmmm...
ok thanks
not planning to apply for cambridge but it might put me at an advantage as it seems like maths is prefered...
Darn it. :colonhash:
Original post by Ishea16
hmmm...
ok thanks
not planning to apply for cambridge but it might put me at an advantage as it seems like maths is prefered...
Darn it. :colonhash:

jut checked a few of the top medical schools' websites and i dont think any have maths as 100% required. sorry about that
jut checked a few of the top medical schools' websites and i dont think any have maths as 100% required. sorry about that

dont worry its fine:h:
Original post by katecatfish
I would definatley do your chemistry and biology if youre considering medicine, as they are to two you definatley need. I'm appying for radiography and I do biology, physics, psychology and art. I am the only one in my physics class who doesn't do maths so sometimes it takes me longer to get to grips with some of th emaths we use in physics, but its not too bad. whereas those who do maths say that sometimes physics condridicts what they learnt in maths and then they get confused, so it has its pros and cons. In terms of spanish i think its a good options, medical schools like to see that you have something different, and this could take you to different countries to practise medicine too. However spanish is really hard, my friend got an a* at gcse and still has to resist their exams because they got i think a c overall, but im not sure? basically i would only do spanish if youre sure youre going to get the grade you need, otherwise it will bring your tariff points down for UCAS. Basically I suggest doing all 3 sciences (most people at my school do that if applying for medical related courses) and then choose a subject that you enjoy and are good at, if you can only do 3 a levels then definatley bio and chem, the last one up to you. you definaltey dont need maths though if youre not good at it, we had someone go to oxford for medicine and she did bio, chem, physics and art :smile: Good luck!

Omg thank you so much this helped me a lot 😊
hiya im choosing my options soon, and i would like a bit of feedback on whether they would be beneficial or not, i am leaning towards a medical field.
im thinking Biology Chemistry physics (i am a a* gcse maths, but i dont enjoy it) and Spanish.
But next year they are taking out as and a2 so all the exams are at the end and cannot drop any of them.
Am a making any bad choices (esp spanish and physics)

Apparently physics is really hard but as your good at maths it should be ok. what do you hope to take away with spanish?
Original post by Out_of_the_Blue
Apparently physics is really hard but as your good at maths it should be ok. what do you hope to take away with spanish?

Tbh for GCSE I guess on the exam and get an a* but I'll put more effort in at alervel and hopefully get an a
Tbh for GCSE I guess on the exam and get an a* but I'll put more effort in at alervel and hopefully get an a

yes i think it will be easier to apply more time to individual subjects at a level as there are fewer subjects, im in a similar situation to you, im good at maths but i dont like it but i have no idea what i want to do or take for a level

Quick Reply

Latest