The Student Room Group

French Writing exam on holidays

I need some help with phrases to add into my French writing on holidays I'm looking for some phrases that will help me get an A-A* because the writing is easier to score marks than the speaking and I am hoping to get good marks here to help towards my garde at the end of the year!
What I need the most help with is talking about if I won the lottery where would I like most to travel. But any phrases, good sentence starters and connectives are welcome!
Thankyou!
Reply 1
If your taking about if you won the lottery, you'd already be using a si clause which includes the imperfect, and conditional which is already good stuff :smile: other than that I'd recommend using some subjunctive phrases such as 'quoique ce soit' (although it is) as well as any idioms, and things like ce qui and ce que. Other than that, ensure your basic grammar (conjugation and adjective agreements) are tip-top :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
*talking not taking - sorry!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by em_97
If your taking about if you won the lottery, you'd already be using a si clause which includes the imperfect, and conditional which is already good stuff :smile: other than that I'd recommend using some subjunctive phrases such as 'quoique ce soit' (although it is) as well as any idioms, and things like ce qui and ce que. Other than that, ensure your basic grammar (conjugation and adjective agreements) are tip-top :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey thankyou! I will be sure to use those! :smile: I'm hoping to get like an A* on this because it should be a lot easier than the speakings!
Original post by The Wolf Reviser
I need some help with phrases to add into my French writing on holidays I'm looking for some phrases that will help me get an A-A* because the writing is easier to score marks than the speaking and I am hoping to get good marks here to help towards my garde at the end of the year!
What I need the most help with is talking about if I won the lottery where would I like most to travel. But any phrases, good sentence starters and connectives are welcome!
Thankyou!

If you want to amaze the examiner/your teacher then maybe include things like ce dont, celui/celle/ceux, lequel/laquelle/lesquels/lesquelles, le mien/le tien/le sien/le nôtre/le vôtre/le leur etc etc, you can find things like this if you search 'advanced French grammar' or something similar, or try this site.

But at GCSE this isn't necessary. Just make sure you use different tenses: present, perfect (passé composé), imperfect, near future (aller+infinitive), future. Also include the moods: subjunctive, conditional. Maybe do a quick draft of your answer(s) and then make a tick list, if you don't have at least two subjunctive phrases then see where they can be put it. (For example: Bien que je veuille passer mes vacances à l'étranger, j'ai peur des avions alors ce n'est pas une possibilité.)

If you want, once you've written your draft post it here and we can help you! If you need any other specific help let me know. Bon courage! :smile: Je suis sûr que tu auras de bonnes notes à l'écrit si tu travailles bien!

Edit: One last little bit of advice: be honest! If you write a true account of your dream holiday or whatever, it makes it so much easier to write than if you're making it up in which case you really have to think.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending