The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

ravenous_soup_dragon
Lol you both just described my job exactly! I'm meant to be the PA to a director but all he asks me to do is the aforementioned photocopying, printing and a bit of filing. I sit there doing really basic tasks to aid the department as a whole but that's dependent on other departments getting the work done and usually they're lazy, store it up for ages and then I have a busy hour or so and that's it. I also spend time on the phone to my boyfriend (he works in another department during the uni holidays so it looks less conspicious than me dialing his mobile all the time!), looking at random internet sites and chatting to the people on my desk.

[\rant] :wink:

I do the same admin stuff as you. I'm suppose to be an 'Project Assistant' at this Architect firm, but I rarely do the good project stuff, and if I do its like once a week if I'm lucky. I tend to sit at a computer looking on the internet as I press the print button repeatedly :biggrin:
Buy what can they do! I always ask them for work but I don't get enough of it.
Reply 21
Peeps, anyone who is on their gap year or thinking of taking one but not quite sure incase they get lonely....just do it and travel! I was in the exact same situation around september, didnt really know what to do as most friends had gone off to uni but I didnt want to go yet, so I bit the bullet and just took one. Then in November I plucked up the courage to organise a trip away as I've always wanted to go- I have to say I was incredibly nervous at the thought of living with people I had never met before for three months but now I know it was the best decision I have ever made; I met thirty new people who I would confidently call friends- infact we were just a big family really! I miss them all loads and regret not saving enough to go on travelling with them after, as some of them have done and seem to be having the most amazing time.
Honestly, I know it seems daunting but I couldnt recommend it highly enough and I know all of my friends would wholeheartedly agree. Bite the bullet and go for it!
kayleigh*
Peeps, anyone who is on their gap year or thinking of taking one but not quite sure incase they get lonely....just do it and travel! I was in the exact same situation around september, didnt really know what to do as most friends had gone off to uni but I didnt want to go yet, so I bit the bullet and just took one. Then in November I plucked up the courage to organise a trip away as I've always wanted to go- I have to say I was incredibly nervous at the thought of living with people I had never met before for three months but now I know it was the best decision I have ever made; I met thirty new people who I would confidently call friends- infact we were just a big family really! I miss them all loads and regret not saving enough to go on travelling with them after, as some of them have done and seem to be having the most amazing time.
Honestly, I know it seems daunting but I couldnt recommend it highly enough and I know all of my friends would wholeheartedly agree. Bite the bullet and go for it!

Where did you go travelling, out of interest? How did you meet these other people? Sounds like you had a fantastic time!
I think it is what you make of it.
My gap year was going really well, up until January this year, when my boyfriend dumped me, i lost my job and all my friends went back to uni, all in the same week.
Luckily i managed to save a bit of money so I'm going snowboarding later this year, but i'd definitely say that if you're planning to take a gap year, find out as to whether anyone you're quite close with is planning on taking one too, that way, you'll always have someone there, and you might even be able to go traveling with them as well.
And always have in mind what you want to do!
Good luck :] x
I'm pretty lonely at the moment. I spent the summer on a gap year placement with lots of other people and it was amazing, but the last three months I've spent at home, doing nothing. I'm off again around Europe with some girls I met on a gap year forum though, which should be fun, and keep the loneliness aside.

It depends what you're doing with your gap year. Obviously it's no good having lots of friends on gap years if they're all jetting off places and you're in Tesco. But if you're all at home working, then it's great. Unluckily, all my friends are at uni, so I was left alone,but it wasn't too bad.
Reply 25
Yeah you have to be careful, I went away for 12 months which was a long time just travelling, I struggled a bit in Asia, I also (like someone above) did a tour with Intrepid in Cambodia & Vietnam which was amazing and the best time ever. But after it finished everyone on the tour went home whilst I went to Macau & back to Thailand by myself which was really bad! Thailand can be difficult to meet people as there aren't really hostels.

My best advice is plan you time well, do things which you are going to be with people like tours, volunteering etc.

Latest