The Student Room Group

My A level choices... Will it work out?

It's been about a month now since i entered year 11. Our teachers started telling us to think about our A level choices and i'm thinking about taking ART, BIOLOGY and CHEMISTRY. In reality my grades on some of these subjects aren't the best apart from ART.
I want to take my career as a graphic designer or possibly a creative director.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

My friend, who took art, told me that A Level Art has a lot of similarities to GCSE art, so think about that. Is there any other creative courses you could take?
I did chemistry and biology as level (after getting A's in both at GCSE) I found biology fine (got an A at as) but chemistry was so hard (got a C at as) but that was me personally, if I went back I would not have took chemistry I would have taken something else...anything else really
Reply 4
Look at University courses you would want to study and see what grades and subjects you would need, taking courses you're good at is a good idea because you will likely get good grades and get into a good University if you wanted to go to Uni, however taking more academic subjects like Maths, Chemistry and others is a good idea because it means if you change your mind you can go into most other subjects without redoing A Levels. Take subjects you enjoy and you think you can do well in, but I'd also advise you to take at least one maths/science based subject so if you do change your mind you still have other options.
This is just my opinion so don't take it as a must, however A-levels are extremely difficult, especially the sciences that you've mentioned. The majority of colleges/sixth form's wont accept you onto those courses unless you have a B in science. I know people that have achieved B's in science at GCSE and have really struggled with AS chemistry and ended up dropping it at the start of A2. A-levels aren't something to be taken lightly and while you may enjoy the subjects it may be better for you to take something that you are good at, because when it comes to applying to universities, if you need certain grades to receive an offer then you may be at a disadvantage if you aren't great at science and your target grades don't meet what the university is looking for.

It's important to take subjects that you have a passion for and that you enjoy enough to put lots of effort into (without meaning to sound patronising, A-levels really are more demanding than GCSE's), however if your grades aren't up there at GCSE the chances are you will struggle at A-level.

The most important thing is that you're happy, and while sciences might interest you and you might enjoy doing them, that could sharp change if you don't get the grades you're after and you're in a class with people that excel at science.

Good luck though!

Quick Reply

Latest