The Student Room Group

AHHH. HSBC let me go £300 past my overdraft!

I had no idea I was this screwed. I just checked my account with a sneaking suspicion I might be hitting my limit to discover I'm £300 past it. I don't even dare try any more transactions now, and now I can't afford a train ticket home for the vacation :frown: And my parents are being awfully unsympathetic.

*moan* *whine* *refuses to do anything until somebody comes along and sorts out my mess*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not much help now I know, but it's definitely worth drawing up a budget type thing, of incomings and outgoings, so you know this kind of thing is happening!
Reply 2
You're already £300 over - you might as well buy a train ticket home (as long as it isnt too expensive!) going home means eating free for a couple of weeks too :wink:

Go into HSBC and see if they're temporarily extend it so you dont get any charges until you get your next loan installment. (Take will you evidence of your next loan payment date to show them it will be paid back then :smile:)
train tickets are pretty pricey... ~ £46... I'm scared if I make that transaction some alarm will go off which will send HSBC off into a "hunt him down and destroy him!" mode

will go into HSBC tomorrow morning
Reply 4
Lol! I'm sure that wont happen, they'll just charge you lots of interest instead :wink: Do you not have an emergency credit card or another account?
oh my god my railcard has expired so it'll be like £70

meh will probably do it as you say L0ra

now how on earrrrth am I going to raise enough money to sort this all out.

parents are being highly unsympathetic. my nana always tells me to go to her about stuff like this, but i'm scared she might be secretly living in poverty to fund me through things like this, so maybe I should think of something else
Reply 6
Maybe this is a bit unsympathetic....but how did you go £300 over and not notice?
I reckon start being more careful, check your balance regularly, I can see why your parents aren't being sympathetic.
cpj1987
Maybe this is a bit unsympathetic....but how did you go £300 over and not notice?

it was significantly to do with a cheque I wrote several months ago for some second hand textboooks which I assumed had been deposited but that only actually only happened yesterday. I knoooow it's silly to not make sure of things like that. The other major reason is I expected the university to be paying me back some expenses last week and they're not going to for a couple more months now.

I reckon start being more careful, check your balance regularly, I can see why your parents aren't being sympathetic.

I know I'm stupid and should be independent of them et al, but they're relatively unsympathetic compared to the parents of most people I'm around. Most people I know just have to make a phonecall home when this happens and after a five minute lecture get their balance settled. That was certainly what happened with my best mate last week, and yesterday another close friend was rejected for funding for their MPhil so his parents are coughing up £8k. Damn my poor and principled family.
Reply 8
Hehe my family are the same, they've not given me a penny since I started uni, but this does mean I'm VERY careful about money. I check my balance as often as I can, and if I'm going into, or over, my overdraft, I know about it and I work out a way back out. Wait until loan day, that'll fix it.
Reply 9
Get a job :p: You cant be that far away from finishing so perfect time to be looking for a summer job.

My parents help me out as much as they can but i'm still totally buggered with money :s-smilie:
I have a summer job lined up, but my last exam isn't until late June and I'm at oxbridge so can't work until then.
Reply 11
Moral of the story? If you're rubbish with money dont go to Oxbridge :p:

Good luck at HSBC tomorrow!
Reply 12
L0RA
Moral of the story? If you're rubbish with money dont go to Oxbridge :p:

Good luck at HSBC tomorrow!

Or in your case...Manchester :p:
Reply 13
Does your account not have a cap on it, so that once you reach your limit you cant take any more money out? Mine has, Im with Natwest. Its actually really handy as I know that I wont ever go above my limit which makes it more manageable, especially since I know that if I could Id be in so much more debt if they allowed me to go above the limit
Reply 14
Lolly-88
Or in your case...Manchester :p:

I've got a job so can pay mine off without worrying! :biggrin:
Reply 15
thisbemadness
Does your account not have a cap on it, so that once you reach your limit you cant take any more money out? Mine has, Im with Natwest. Its actually really handy as I know that I wont ever go above my limit which makes it more manageable, especially since I know that if I could Id be in so much more debt if they allowed me to go above the limit

Do all natwest accounts have this? I always wondered if natwest would 'let me' go overdrawn. I'm up to £1249.99 of my £1250 overdraft and not planning on trying it but it'd be interesting to know! :smile:
thisbemadness

Well my overdraft limit is 1500, they will stop me spending eventually but it's at their discretion when (evidentally it's more than 1800). They'll definitely let you go over though, because that's when they throw in the charges.
Reply 17
L0RA
Do all natwest accounts have this? I always wondered if natwest would 'let me' go overdrawn. I'm up to £1249.99 of my £1250 overdraft and not planning on trying it but it'd be interesting to know! :smile:

I have no idea, mines been like this since I started uni, Im now in my final year so my O/D is £1600. Its quite handy though as it means I never get any charges but sometimes a pain when Im skint!! :p: Maybe its just my account, I dont know.
Reply 18
Isn't the overdraft interest free while you are still a student? I had to dig into my overdraft before I'd even started(to pay off another loan) and there was no interest. Perhaps that is why HSBC have just ignored you.

Not that makes things better. My mum is poor and gives me no money(but does feed me when I'm at home) so I know how you feel. I'm going through a mass panic to find jobs so I have money in the summer.
They've agreed to extend my overdraft, £1500 will be interest free, the last £300 is charged at 19% APR. So no charges but a crapload of interest. MMMMM great.

Latest

Trending

Trending