The Student Room Group

English Literature EPQ: Mental Illness (historical literature)

I want to do my EPQ on the presentation of mental illnesses in literature in the past century, and was wondering if anybody could help me pick some texts to analyse? After a little bit of trawling google I was thinking...

Mrs Dalloway - 1925
The Bell Jar - 1963
The Virgin Suicides - 1993
Wintergirls - 2009

Also maybe Girl, Interrupted (1993) but I didn't really want two from the same year. Also, Girl, Interrupted is described as a memoir rather than a novel and is an account of the authors life...confusing

But I've only read two of those books so a bit difficult to judge which would be interesting to analyse as as an example of how mental illness was viewed at the time. If anybody has any book recommendations for this that would be fab :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Original post by lilbunni
I want to do my EPQ on the presentation of mental illnesses in literature in the past century, and was wondering if anybody could help me pick some texts to analyse? After a little bit of trawling google I was thinking...

Mrs Dalloway - 1925
The Bell Jar - 1963
The Virgin Suicides - 1993
Wintergirls - 2009

Also maybe Girl, Interrupted (1993) but I didn't really want two from the same year. Also, Girl, Interrupted is described as a memoir rather than a novel and is an account of the authors life...confusing

But I've only read two of those books so a bit difficult to judge which would be interesting to analyse as as an example of how mental illness was viewed at the time. If anybody has any book recommendations for this that would be fab :smile:

OMG OMG OMG OMG SYLVIA PLATH'S POETRY IS A MUST ;-) her poems are really deep and although depressing are very interesting to read because she suffered from depression and a mental break down and shes just amazing!

Quick Reply

Latest