The Student Room Group

Hate having such a common name :(

Scroll to see replies

Original post by loveleest
No one ever calls you by your last name though (I mean rarely)
And no it's not, I actually hate it so much :frown: It could be 'worse' I guess. But no, having a common name is sh*t

A friends surname is a females first name. She sometimes get called by her surname too.

At least you have a name people can spell. I get people who can't spell or say my properly. They also stick random letters in my first name too.
Where are you moving to in London? I currently live there :smile: Ahh, yeah that's the same for me. If they are your really close friends, then you should tell them. Or if that is difficult for you then let them just call you by your old name. When you go to London just start using your new name, it would be a fresh and brand new start :smile:

I'm not sure yet, staying with a friend who lives close to Heathrow till I sort out a place :smile: Oh cool, do you have any tips for becoming a Londoner thanks?

Yeah I don't think my best friends will really care, it's more people whom I'm just acquainted with, I don't want them to think I'm weird. Not sure if I should change my name legally too ahh, new housemates might be confused otherwise :tongue:
Reply 42
Original post by OU Student
A friends surname is a females first name. She sometimes get called by her surname too.

At least you have a name people can spell. I get people who can't spell or say my properly. They also stick random letters in my first name too.

My last name is a common boys name so I can't get called by my last name :frown:
ahh okay, that does suck. yeah so I guess there are advantages and disadvantages of having a unique name/common name
My last name is a common boys name so I can't get called by my last name :frown:
ahh okay, that does suck. yeah so I guess there are advantages and disadvantages of having a unique name/common name

Autocorrect really hasn't helped me over the years either. :lol:
try having Bernadette!!!!! there is nothing with my name on!
I'm a Danielle but I have been a Dani since I was 11....

However over the years - no one seems to be able to spell my name correctly.

My email even states "Dani" for everyone to see and I get "Hi Danni", "Hi Danny", "Hi Dannii".

If you take the 'elle' from Danielle - you get Dani. How hard is it?!

Haha! Rant over!
Original post by BerniHurton
try having Bernadette!!!!! there is nothing with my name on!

Tis a beautiful name though :smile:
Reply 47
My name is annoying to tell people because they always struggle to say it and makes the situation awkward lol.
Original post by samina_ay
my surname is "Aurangzeb" - the amount of people who struggle with pronouncing it kills me. so awful.

Phonetically, that seems to be pronounced "Oar-ang-zeb". Could have different stresses within it, I guess.

How's it pronounced?
Original post by Drunk Punx
Phonetically, that seems to be pronounced "Oar-ang-zeb". Could have different stresses within it, I guess.

How's it pronounced?

Yep you're right, no stresses, just "o-rang-zeb" haha
Reply 50
Original post by RiotGirll
I'm not sure yet, staying with a friend who lives close to Heathrow till I sort out a place :smile: Oh cool, do you have any tips for becoming a Londoner thanks?

Yeah I don't think my best friends will really care, it's more people whom I'm just acquainted with, I don't want them to think I'm weird. Not sure if I should change my name legally too ahh, new housemates might be confused otherwise :tongue:

oh cool, I dont think i've been down heathrow before though. London is quite expensive so it would be great to start looking for good paying jobs if you haven't found one. But London can be quite fun if you have the money to spend. Its great to go shopping and for going out to eat. London is beautiful at night especially during christmas where the decorations are. I think you will have a great time here, try to be as sociable as you can and meet new people :smile: Just be yourself and everything would be fine! Transport in London tends to be great compared to some areas, but for public travelling you need an oyster card.

You can go with your name for like 2 years or so and if you like it then legally change it if you want, but I dont think its necessary to change it straight away. I have the same problem because if i tell my acquantices my new name, I cant be bothered to answer all those endless questions lol, So yeah just tell your close friends :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
oh cool, I dont think i've been down heathrow before though. London is quite expensive so it would be great to start looking for good paying jobs if you haven't found one. But London can be quite fun if you have the money to spend. Its great to go shopping and for going out to eat. London is beautiful at night especially during christmas where the decorations are. I think you will have a great time here, try to be as sociable as you can and meet new people :smile: Just be yourself and everything would be fine! Transport in London tends to be great compared to some areas, but for public travelling you need an oyster card.

You can go with your name for like 2 years or so and if you like it then legally change it if you want, but I dont think its necessary to change it straight away. I have the same problem because if i tell my acquantices my new name, I cant be bothered to answer all those endless questions lol, So yeah just tell your close friends :smile:

I have one sorted its why I'm going actually haha :colondollar: But I want to save. Hopefully I'll make friends before everything stops during christmas! Yeah I'll get one.

I'll do that I think, good luck :smile:
Use a nickname or go by your middle name?

Alternatively if you're reallyyy serious then see getting your name changed via deed poll :tongue:
when you start uni your tutors SHOULD ask you if you prefer to be called anything else, they did that in all of my classes, every single tutor, it should be fine
Reply 54
Original post by RiotGirll
Yeah I feel you. I haven't decided on a nickname yet though lol

Margaret. My grandma chose it :rofl:

Marge
Maggie
Mag(s)
Mugsy
Muginder
Muginderish
Magstar
Magzy