The Student Room Group

My friend refuses to dress up for prom

I have a friend who out right refuses to wear a dress of any kind or a suit or a play-suit or a jumpsuit or anything like the to prom. Everything we've shown her she has hated either the color, style, length, if it shows too much skin(i.e. your shoulders) then she says its for a prostitute.
Everyday at school she wears Bermuda shorts and a t-shirt and she says that this is what shes going to wear to prom with a tie.
But i don't think that she'd be allowed into prom dressed like that as its a formal event, yet she would still go anyway, dressed how she likes and ranting about how unfair everyone is being and that she should be allowed to wear what she wants.
I think its great that shes determined and opinionated, but she wont get into prom dressed how she wants, how can we convince her to dress up either in a dress, or suit or whatever so that she'll actually get through the door?
Reply 1
I think you should beat her and publicly humiliate her until she conforms to your values.
Reply 2
Why don't you cover her in pigs blood at the prom? That's never turned out bad for anyone involved.
Original post by merrieintheworld
I have a friend who out right refuses to wear a dress of any kind or a suit or a play-suit or a jumpsuit or anything like the to prom. Everything we've shown her she has hated either the color, style, length, if it shows too much skin(i.e. your shoulders) then she says its for a prostitute.
Everyday at school she wears Bermuda shorts and a t-shirt and she says that this is what shes going to wear to prom with a tie.
But i don't think that she'd be allowed into prom dressed like that as its a formal event, yet she would still go anyway, dressed how she likes and ranting about how unfair everyone is being and that she should be allowed to wear what she wants.
I think its great that shes determined and opinionated, but she wont get into prom dressed how she wants, how can we convince her to dress up either in a dress, or suit or whatever so that she'll actually get through the door?

1) Find the real reason she doesn't want to dress up. It may be a reason deeper. Maybe she doesn't feel pretty?
2)Get her to try on a really classy black dress (like a downton abbey one) and show her how pretty she looks
3)If she still doesn't want to, make a compromise and make her wear a black skirt and a white blouse etc.
Reply 4
Original post by Praveen101
compromise and make her wear a black skirt and a white blouse etc.

Yeah, way to go. Make her compromise and conform.
Flaunt, showcase and parade your flowing tresses, glossy mane, on trend, barely there makeup, plunging cleavage, ample assets, hint of side boob, and protect your modesty.
i like it, it goes against the norm
Original post by Praveen101
1) Find the real reason she doesn't want to dress up. It may be a reason deeper. Maybe she doesn't feel pretty?
2)Get her to try on a really classy black dress (like a downton abbey one) and show her how pretty she looks
3)If she still doesn't want to, make a compromise and make her wear a black skirt and a white blouse etc.

I second this. You could also try suggesting a floral print jumpsuit or dress (something not dissimilar in pattern to the Bermuda shorts she normally wears).
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest