The Student Room Group

Everything is sexist.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34710261

Thoughts?

[video="youtube;vRquPxdHNGE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRquPxdHNGE[/video]
Reply 2
If everything was sexist, then nothing is.

#Deep #Profound #Wow
Feminists are walking personality disorders. We know this already.
They wouldn't even be happy if women were on every page, because they would keep getting stamped.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec
They wouldn't even be happy if women were on every page, because they would keep getting stamped.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If women were on every stage they'd say that women are being put on a pedestal which makes them seem inhuman.
Reply 6
It's Anita Sharkesian.
Original post by KingBradly

Fanta bottles have something women don't have: my undying love for how ergonomic they are.
Reply 8
Anita Sarkeesian is a joke. The fact that a professional victim like her managed to get anywhere near the UN worries me. Her videos are so void of any kind of intellect that they could effectively be used to induce comas.
Reply 9
I'm definitely sick of hearing about a woman who achieved something and a woman who needs to achieve something. The subject of Equality has been way to critically analysed and overthought in my eyes and feminism is not a movement for equality in this day and age, yes it has achieved a lot in the past for women (not men) and that is great because there used to be an issue within western society but I don't think in 2015 inequality between the genders is the most prevalent of unfair truths.

I know my view seems like an uneducated view at first but I have researched both sides of the gender battle and there are subjects and matters that favour women and also ones that favor men. I don't think the question should be so how do you feel being a woman in this situation? If someone asked me that about any subject my response would be along the lines of I never felt that merely being a woman has a set back, only my own personal behaviour I feel would set me back or aid my achievements. Anyone can do what they want. It should be an individual basis that is looked at and if the numbers coincidently favour a sex or ethnicity then maybe that means they are better and yes, in some cases it could be favourtism but organisations are bent into such a way that they needs to allocate/accept a percentage of people who are either a particular sex, race or age regardless of abilities.

Equality is bull****, life is not fair and equal and that's the way it is, we're not communists, we're not equally able at all activities, we are not all equally intelligent and we are not gender-less.

Grrr....:K:
Original post by cbaker22
I'm definitely sick of hearing about a woman who achieved something and a woman who needs to achieve something. The subject of Equality has been way to critically analysed and overthought in my eyes and feminism is not a movement for equality in this day and age, yes it has achieved a lot in the past for women (not men) and that is great because there used to be an issue within western society but I don't think in 2015 inequality between the genders is the most prevalent of unfair truths.

I know my view seems like an uneducated view at first but I have researched both sides of the gender battle and there are subjects and matters that favour women and also ones that favor men. I don't think the question should be so how do you feel being a woman in this situation? If someone asked me that about any subject my response would be along the lines of I never felt that merely being a woman has a set back, only my own personal behaviour I feel would set me back or aid my achievements. Anyone can do what they want. It should be an individual basis that is looked at and if the numbers coincidently favour a sex or ethnicity then maybe that means they are better and yes, in some cases it could be favourtism but organisations are bent into such a way that they needs to allocate/accept a percentage of people who are either a particular sex, race or age regardless of abilities.

Equality is bull****, life is not fair and equal and that's the way it is, we're not communists, we're not equally able at all activities, we are not all equally intelligent and we are not gender-less.

Grrr....:K:

You're don't seem uneducated at all. The whole idea that anyone who isn't comfortable with modern day feminism just isn't "educated" enough about it, or isn't aware of the "real" feminism out there, is one of the biggest fallacies that feminists use to avoid discussion. There is no "real feminism". Sure, on the fringes there are a couple of feminists who are reasonable, but actually the most popular faces of the movement are exactly the people who we're complaining about. It's a total "no true Scotsman" fallacy.
You're don't seem uneducated at all. The whole idea that anyone who isn't comfortable with modern day feminism just isn't "educated" enough about it, or isn't aware of the "real" feminism out there, is one of the biggest fallacies that feminists use to avoid discussion. There is no "real feminism". Sure, on the fringes there are a couple of feminists who are reasonable, but actually the most popular faces of the movement are exactly the people who we're complaining about. It's a total "no true Scotsman" fallacy.

Preposterous I say :-)

Apologies for spelling TSR is apparently american so kept trying to change everything and I was typing quite fast hehe.

(With journalistic aspirations I feel obliged to apologise)
Original post by cbaker22
Anyone can do what they want. It should be an individual basis that is looked at and if the numbers coincidently favour a sex or ethnicity then maybe that means they are better and yes, in some cases it could be favourtism but organisations are bent into such a way that they needs to allocate/accept a percentage of people who are either a particular sex, race or age regardless of abilities.

Your views surprise me, especially as a woman. You are correct in stating that anyone can do what they want, but only within their circle of influence. The problem comes when you need to someone else to make a decision in your favour in order to advance to the place where you wish to go. Should they be prejudice against you, not because of your lack of ability but because of your sex or race, then no amount of ability will get you to your chosen destination.

You are correct that we are all different with differing abilities but the fact that 45 years after the Equal Pay Act of 1970 came into force we still see women being paid between a quarter and a fifth less than men for the same job is quite frankly a scandal.

I am genuinely curious to know why as a woman, this doesn't bother you. Sure, you can do what you like, but you are probably going to get paid less than the chap at the desk opposite, and simply because your father's sperm randomly decided that you should have boobs.
Original post by ByEeek
Your views surprise me, especially as a woman. You are correct in stating that anyone can do what they want, but only within their circle of influence. The problem comes when you need to someone else to make a decision in your favour in order to advance to the place where you wish to go. Should they be prejudice against you, not because of your lack of ability but because of your sex or race, then no amount of ability will get you to your chosen destination.

You are correct that we are all different with differing abilities but the fact that 45 years after the Equal Pay Act of 1970 came into force we still see women being paid between a quarter and a fifth less than men for the same job is quite frankly a scandal.

I am genuinely curious to know why as a woman, this doesn't bother you. Sure, you can do what you like, but you are probably going to get paid less than the chap at the desk opposite, and simply because your father's sperm randomly decided that you should have boobs.

Understood, and having the view that I have makes me keep my mouth shut most of the time. Perhaps there are unequal things in life, and the pay gap is one that gets thrown around quite frequently, yes I might want that extra fifth of percentage of pay, that would be great and maybe one day 2 people doing the same job will get the same money regardless of who they are. It also depends on the job and the industry, again I'd be more interested in specifics.

As long as the pay is enough to pay my bills and get along in life comfortably and to me quarter to fifth is not substantial enough to feel unhappy about but maybe that's just my attitude to money. I'd hope I could start in a business with pay and work my way up the ranks on my own accord not comparing my pay with someone else's. Also in some jobs it is possible to achieve more results than someone else in the same position such as sales. Another thought is that there are a lot of traditional minded men and women who decide to have children or where the wife decides to not work and the man will have to pay for 2 people and possible some children with his one pay check. Obviously there a stay at home dads also and these instances should be taken into account for. Even though majority of cases are that it is just plain not equal for no reason I think the scales are balanced out by other inequalities so I don't dwell. For example women are more likely to get accepted into universities, men are more suicidal (The pay obviously doesn't equal happiness), men will get worse sentences for the same crime as a woman and they are turned down for help with domestic violence. All of this is the big picture and yes maybe some people feel like we should all be equal but I'm not someone who feels hindered by my sex.
Original post by ByEeek
Your views surprise me, especially as a woman.

Jesus this is so snide This is absolutely typical modern feminist behavior. You can just imagine the "we know better", slightly disappointed, slightly disapproving tone which you mean to say that in. What it really reads as is "You are a woman, so you should be a feminist. You're deluding yourself and letting yourself down if you aren't."

Awful.

Original post by ByEeek

Evidence?

Original post by ByEeek

I am genuinely curious to know why as a woman, this doesn't bother you.

Oh here we go again. "As a woman". Putting the pressure on. Because she's got a vagina, she has to agree with your views or she doesn't get to be part of the club. And if she's not part of the club, then the only reason she can have the views she does is because she is delusional or foolish. Either that or shes just a troublemaker. Really disgraceful stuff. Maybe some women don't believe that what you're saying is true. Ever thought of that?
I'm so sick of hearing people whine about things like this.

The truth is that men have for centuries done a lot of the important, groundbreaking, passport or banknote-worthy things in society, because for a long time men were the only game in town in a lot of areas, or at the very least dominated them.

But now women can do everything! So, great! This will feed through into passports and banknotes over time, I'm sure. Until then, stop complaining.

Oh here we go again. "As a woman". Putting the pressure on. Because she's got a vagina, she has to agree with your views or she doesn't get to be part of the club. And if she's not part of the club, then the only reason she can have the views she does is because she is delusional or foolish. Either that or shes just a troublemaker. Really disgraceful stuff. Maybe some women don't believe that what you're saying is true. Ever thought of that?

Get over yourself and please don't put words in my mouth. I am a man yes. I am also 100% in support of equality between human beings. I was just very surprised to find the woman in question being not so bothered about equality between men and women.

Would you ranting at me if the woman was black stating that he didn't mind being discriminated against on the grounds of race? Or a gay woman saying she didn't mind being discriminated against because of her sexual orientation?

Yet because the we are talking about gender, you accuse me of being some radical ultra feminist supporter. FFS! To her credit she gave a good defence of her views.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending