The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
"realistically" the test lasts 40 minutes. Its up to you how long the bit before lasts.
I was lucky then... My test was over in 30 minutes.
Reply 22
AT82
Statistics show the more lessons you have the less likely you are to crash :smile:.

TBH, I'd actually disagree with that.

Generally speaking, although not always, but generally speaking, people that have a stupid amount of lessons like 25+ are less confident and take longer to learn, and in some cases not learning properly. Obviously it depens on many many things like instructors, but generally speaking.

If you pass after 5 lessons, you must have a lot of luck like you do to pass your test after any amount of lessons, but there must be an element of skill there aswell.
Reply 23
my test was 23 mins
i acutally timed it to see how long it was

sounds a lot shorter than all of yours
Reply 24
Ryan
TBH, I'd actually disagree with that.

Generally speaking, although not always, but generally speaking, people that have a stupid amount of lessons like 25+ are less confident and take longer to learn, and in some cases not learning properly. Obviously it depens on many many things like instructors, but generally speaking.

If you pass after 5 lessons, you must have a lot of luck like you do to pass your test after any amount of lessons, but there must be an element of skill there aswell.

What does that make my mate who has done 50+ lessons and only just booked his test then? lol.
This is a silly question imo.

It depends on the individual person, their natural ability and effort they are willing to put in to pass.
Reply 26
Ryan
people that have a stupid amount of lessons like 25+ are less confident and take longer to learn

totally disagree with that. the more lessons you have, the more road experience you're getting. thats never a bad thing.

plus, the average person takes 40 hours plus private practice. by your reckoning, a considerable amount of the population are having "stupid" amounts of lessons.
Reply 27
broughy
totally disagree with that. the more lessons you have, the more road experience you're getting. thats never a bad thing.

In the first week of me passing my test, I had more experience than any amount of driving lessons could have given me.
Reply 28
I have mates that passed in 10 lessons or less within a few months and most of them are perfectly competent drivers lol. IMO it depends on the person, not how many lessons they've had. Some people simply learn quicker than others!
lol probably.... it took me bout 32 lessons.. and my test was over in 25 mins!
Reply 30
who ever said more lessons= more road experience, is wrong in many cases. as I was out for 1-2hours most nights, and that is what was most valuable. <10 lessons and over 50hours road driving, means I got more experience than some guf that forked out for 30 lessons.
Reply 31
Ryan
In the first week of me passing my test, I had more experience than any amount of driving lessons could have given me.

yes, thats once you've passed your test. driving to pass the test & driving on your own after you've passed are 2 very different things.
Reply 32
I have been learning for about 6 months now and I was in a car with someone who done an intensive course and I was a better driver than her eventhough she had passed her test :s:
Reply 33
I'm expecting 30/40 hours, but my friend passed after 10 hours.

edit: The instructor he went with has the fastest pass rates around here and most of his pupils pass in under 20 - I'm switching to him soon!
I had nine months of two hours lessons because i was a bit a scaried cat behind the wheel at first.

Though I did my theory test a couple of months after I started because it was the summer holidays - I passed with flying colours. I recommend doing it mid summer holidays because then you don't have to memorize stopping distances and the chemical makeup of plastic.
Reply 35
I had 25-30 hours of lessons and no private practice before my first test and I failed though it wouldn't have had to go very differently to pass, just didnt look in the mirror wehn doing reverse round the corner.... eventually passed after around 35 hours of lessons and fourth test but with no private practice....

so in short its doable fairly quickly but as the wait between tests is massive (can be up to a month) you need a fair bit of luck if you wanna pass in a short time period....

from being driven by friends there doesn't seem to be an awful lot of correlation between time spent learning and driving ability.... some people that pass first time are absolute crap and must have fluked it where as some people that take months end up being safe without being cautious to the point of danger....
Reply 36
A girl mate of mine passed with just 6 lessons. I can already drive properly anyway and I have reversed into a space etc with my dad who takes me out on a quiet road every so often so I feel I could pass with minimal lessons, < 6.

Fact is I'm still only 16, 17 on May 12th, and NOT having my test before Sep. isn't an option.
Reply 37
but your dad has already taught you to drive so you have had lessons just not with a qualified instructor..... the OP asked how long it takes to pass the test... I doubt your friend had six hours of lessons having never driven before.....
Reply 38
My birthday is in July and I turned 17 last year. My aim was to pass before xmas but because of a mix up with instructors I didn't pass until Feb (1st time). I'd advise you to concentrate on the quality of driving rather than the time you do it in, this way there will be no pressure or expectations.
at least with having more lesson's you get more experience on the road and driving in different conditions etc-icey and sunny and also having at lessons at night. People who learn and pass in just a few months, don't have that much experience with different conditions.

Latest