The Student Room Group

Student, I've run out of money until late December and I can't find a job.

I've applied for about 30 jobs so far, not a single one has got back to me about interviews.

I literally have £30 to last me until the end of December (this is when I receive my bursary). I'm at the LIMIT of my overdraft. I have a student account with Santander, and a normal account with Barclays. The latter doesn't have an overdraft and I use it to transfer over money for phone bill etc.

My parents won't support me - I'm 21 and should be able to manage without their help, and they're not well off anyway.

What are my options? Do I get a credit card and pay it off when I receive my bursary, or do I ask for a (fee paying) overdraft from Barclays?
I've already asked Santander but their maximum overdraft for students is £1500.

Please help. I really don't know what to do.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by getbentsaggy
I've applied for about 30 jobs so far, not a single one has got back to me about interviews.

I literally have £30 to last me until the end of December (this is when I receive my bursary). I'm at the LIMIT of my overdraft. I have a student account with Santander, and a normal account with Barclays. The latter doesn't have an overdraft and I use it to transfer over money for phone bill etc.

My parents won't support me - I'm 21 and should be able to manage without their help, and they're not well off anyway.

What are my options? Do I get a credit card and pay it off when I receive my bursary, or do I ask for a (fee paying) overdraft from Barclays?
I've already asked Santander but their maximum overdraft for students is £1500.

Please help. I really don't know what to do.

A fee paying overdraft is going to cost you an awful lot in fees if you cant pay it back until january, so if you are able to access a student credit card then i would very carefully go for that. Are there any things you are able to cut down until january, such as bills? Also look at if theres anything you can sell on ebay? Certainly if you havent already cut down any money you ve spent on luxuries or food if you can.
Look at what skills you have and then sell them. For example I know a little bit about Photoshop so when I'm low on cash I'll make graphics for customers I find on the internet.

Otherwise, eBay.
Matched betting. It's not betting, it's basically bookies paying for you to register with them, it's guaranteed profit and piss easy (and legal).
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
A fee paying overdraft is going to cost you an awful lot in fees if you cant pay it back until january, so if you are able to access a student credit card then i would very carefully go for that. Are there any things you are able to cut down until january, such as bills? Also look at if theres anything you can sell on ebay? Certainly if you havent already cut down any money you ve spent on luxuries or food if you can.

What student credit cards do you recommend, and how do they work? Never seen one or used one before, even my parents dont use credit cards, so they scare me a lot.

EDIT: I just checked my eligibility for a few credit cards, I was rejected by sainsburys and dont meet the criteria for barclays as I'm unemployed. I don't think credit card will be possible
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Right I just checked the dates of the bursary payment. My first installment will be 4th December, which gives me exactly one month. If I asked barclays to give me a small overdraft for one month, will it be wise?
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned asking the uni about their hardship fund.
What student credit cards do you recommend, and how do they work? Never seen one or used one before, even my parents dont use credit cards, so they scare me a lot.

EDIT: I just checked my eligibility for a few credit cards, I was rejected by sainsburys and dont meet the criteria for barclays as I'm unemployed. I don't think credit card will be possible

If your overdraft is the only thing you ve ever had, you might not have much of a credit record. Go ask santander if you d be eligible for a student credit card with them, some student credit cards offer 56 days before you have to pay interest so that could keep you going until your bursary payment comes in but definetly pay it back as soon as you get the money to.
Reply 8
If your overdraft is the only thing you ve ever had, you might not have much of a credit record. Go ask santander if you d be eligible for a student credit card with them, some student credit cards offer 56 days before you have to pay interest so that could keep you going until your bursary payment comes in but definetly pay it back as soon as you get the money to.

Santander only offer credit cards if you have an income, too. Unfortunately my student loan isn't considered to be an income so i'm not eligible for any - just got off the phone with them :frown:

I'd shop around a bit. I have an interest free (non-student) credit card for 15 months.
Original post by OU Student
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned asking the uni about their hardship fund.

What is hardship fund and what is the eligibility critera?
What is hardship fund and what is the eligibility critera?

I think the criteria varies by uni. You have to speak to your uni's finance department about this. You have to show them your bank statements to show them that you don't have any money, etc.
Santander only offer credit cards if you have an income, too. Unfortunately my student loan isn't considered to be an income so i'm not eligible for any - just got off the phone with them :frown:

Oh i see, my bank counts a student loan as income in some cases ( never been a fan of santander personally).
I've just applied for about 5 more jobs :frown: Really hope they give me one.
Reply 14
I've just applied for about 5 more jobs :frown: Really hope they give me one.

Best of luck, OP.

I feel really bad for you in your current situation, and I hope that it gets better. :redface:
I would sell things, and if that didn't work then get a credit card. I back myself to get a job within a week or two no matter what though so it is slightly different I suppose.
Original post by OU Student
I'd shop around a bit. I have an interest free (non-student) credit card for 15 months.

Interest free credit cards exist?
Yes. Mine is interest free for 15 months. However, I gave to have an account with Nationwide.
halifax student credit card, check that out.
Reply 19
I'm with HSBC £750 overdraft and they offered me a credit card with no interest for a year (£500).

To make money I recommend matched betting. Save the Student have a great guide. I've made well over a grand from it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending