The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Move onto traditional university?

If i was to study for example 120 credits in Open university could I then after those 120 credits apply to Edinburgh University? Because I don't have the needed qualifications for Edinburgh University. But if I showed them that I can study at this level, would they consider my application?

Thanks for any answers in advance.
Original post by kaarlis112
If i was to study for example 120 credits in Open university could I then after those 120 credits apply to Edinburgh University? Because I don't have the needed qualifications for Edinburgh University. But if I showed them that I can study at this level, would they consider my application?

Honestly the best thing to do is ring Edinburgh admissions office and ask what they would require in lieu of A levels. They might accept them, they might not, if they are willing to consider them then they may name which modules they would like you to do. But it will depend on course and subject etc. so can't really give any specifics. Just call them after all they are the people who are in the know. :smile:

http://www.ed.ac.uk/student-recruitment is the admission website

ETA: Why not possibly look at doing A levels through part time/college/distance learning instead of OU? It could take a similar time to 120 credits at OU and will be more straightforward in respect to uni applications.

Ok http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergraduate/entry-requirements/mature says OU credits could be used (ignoring the mature student part for the time being so least they recognise that) but what they accept, how much etc will be down to course so best call.
(edited 8 years ago)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by kaarlis112

Ask Edinburgh! I had to have A-levels before they'd consider me AND I already have a CertHE, but that was for science, it's slightly different for arts subjets. But I did get in.

Be aware that for every year you spend studying with the OU you lose 1 year of HE funding, so you can only do 1 academic year with the OU (not 1 year in credits) before you start eating into your funding allowance.
Reply 3
I'm taking a CertHe in natural sciences with the OU at 120 credits. All but one Uni I emailed about applying for a bachelors in ecology or biological sciences said they would accept the 120 credits for that particular course. Some even said they'd accept a 60 credit module at distinction level (such as s104 exploring science). I think it completely depends what you want to do, so the only thing you can do is contact the uni!
Original post by Alking
I'm taking a CertHe in natural sciences with the OU at 120 credits. All but one Uni I emailed about applying for a bachelors in ecology or biological sciences said they would accept the 120 credits for that particular course. Some even said they'd accept a 60 credit module at distinction level (such as s104 exploring science). I think it completely depends what you want to do, so the only thing you can do is contact the uni!

It'll depend on the university as well. I had very mixed responses, none on the par of Edinburgh would consider me for entry into first year with just the Cert HE though. But others like UEA, Lincoln etc did.

Quick Reply

Latest