The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

How long would you say the wait is for an applicant to get a response?
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 21
I applied for biology and i received my offer 9/10 days later.
Original post by University of Southampton
Please post any of your questions here

I booked a visit day, but the problem is, the only journey arriving for 10am is expensive, and an hour longer. What would happen if I arrived via the later coach arriving at 11.35? Would I have missed a lot?
Reply 23
Hi when can we apply for accommodation after we have made our decision. Thanks
I went to the Uni of Southampton for both my BA and MA and loved it, both the campuses are so nice and there are some amazing lecturers there, just my two cents! I can answer any questions about the social side of things :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by Queen Cersei
I went to the Uni of Southampton for both my BA and MA and loved it, both the campuses are so nice and there are some amazing lecturers there, just my two cents! I can answer any questions about the social side of things :smile:
what is the night life like?
Original post by inava
what is the night life like?

It's excellent if it's the kind of thing you like... basically it's cheap and cheery! There aren't really many fancy places or swanky bars but there are tons of student places that are a bit run down but have a great atmosphere and the most insanely cheap drinks and all the students go to the same place (Jesters on a Monday, SoBar on a Tuesday) so you always know they will be lively :smile:
Reply 27

I just wanted to know what is the estimated ratio of boys to girls on the bio-medical science course and the ratio of home and international students on the same course?
Hi people!

I am an international student (Slovenia) and I have a question regarding the conditions in the offer I received.
I was told I have to pass maths and physics with grade 5. But here's the thing, there are no grades in our Maturitetno Spricevalo (Secondary school diploma). There are just points, and they go from 1 to 5 as the grades would go. However, this only applies for standard level subjects. I have my physics exam at standard level, because there is not one on a higher one, but I have my maths on higher level. This means that my points can range from 1 to 8, but those points can be translated back to "grades", in a parallel scale that would sort those 8 points back into categories from 1 to 5. In this case, if I downgrade my maths back to standard level, there are no issues. If I take it on higher level, do I have to pass it with 5 to 8 in points or would I have to score 7 or 8 as only those translate to a "grade" 5?
I realise that may be difficult for you to understand, but I am ready to clarify it if necessary, and I really need an answer as there won't be much more time for possible downgrade. Help? :s-smilie:

PS: The university hasn't specified whether they are talking about 5 in points or grades, they just wrote a number.
Original post by Ptisnikar1
Hi people!

I am an international student (Slovenia) and I have a question regarding the conditions in the offer I received.
I was told I have to pass maths and physics with grade 5. But here's the thing, there are no grades in our Maturitetno Spricevalo (Secondary school diploma). There are just points, and they go from 1 to 5 as the grades would go. However, this only applies for standard level subjects. I have my physics exam at standard level, because there is not one on a higher one, but I have my maths on higher level. This means that my points can range from 1 to 8, but those points can be translated back to "grades", in a parallel scale that would sort those 8 points back into categories from 1 to 5. In this case, if I downgrade my maths back to standard level, there are no issues. If I take it on higher level, do I have to pass it with 5 to 8 in points or would I have to score 7 or 8 as only those translate to a "grade" 5?
I realise that may be difficult for you to understand, but I am ready to clarify it if necessary, and I really need an answer as there won't be much more time for possible downgrade. Help? :s-smilie:

PS: The university hasn't specified whether they are talking about 5 in points or grades, they just wrote a number.

I would definitely send the admissions office a quick email asking them to clarify but maybe wait till a couple of weeks are passed because they're likely very busy this time of year. If you need an answer as soon as possible then email them now. The only people who really know what the entry criteria are (without reading what's on the website) are the admissions office. :smile:
Original post by Crazelfluff
I would definitely send the admissions office a quick email asking them to clarify but maybe wait till a couple of weeks are passed because they're likely very busy this time of year. If you need an answer as soon as possible then email them now. The only people who really know what the entry criteria are (without reading what's on the website) are the admissions office. :smile:

Well that is the problem here, I need an answer until the 29th of March and I'm afraid i won't receive any until then. But thanks for your suggestion, will look into doing that.
Original post by Ptisnikar1
Well that is the problem here, I need an answer until the 29th of March and I'm afraid i won't receive any until then. But thanks for your suggestion, will look into doing that.

If it's really urgent perhaps write the title in caps with the word "URGENT". Grab their attention. This could also be considered rude though.
When writing your email be as to the point as you can but also polite. If they don't respond quickly I suggest the caps as a plan B.

Hope it goes well for you
Reply 32

Hello! I have just received my offer (conditional) for MSc Risk Management, starting this September. I am an international student and was wondering as to when exactly do I register for accommodation. Should I wait until I get an unconditional offer ( which would be in July) or do I register for it right away ?
If anyone wants to live in a house from a private landlord for 2016/17 academic year:

35 Hartington Road, SO14 0EW (3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, garden, kitchen and lounge, with lots of storage) available for a 9 month contract from the 1st of October 2016 to the 30th of June 2017 (University of Southampton teaching starts 3rd of October 2016).

Rent is £300 per person, per calendar month (£900 for the whole house) not including bills. Deposit is £300 per person. First month's rent will need to be paid on the 1st of October 2016, so only deposit needs to be paid when signing the tenancy agreement. Looking for one more housemate.

There will be two (male) second year geologists in the house next academic year. House will be redecorated and refurbished before moving in. Near Solent Uni, city centre, NOC campus and Southampton Central train station.

I have sent my application for halls, how long does it usually take to get a reply?
Reply 35
I went to the podiatry selection session on the 17th March. When can I expect a response?

When can I apply for accommodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Original post by horse.jojo
When can I apply for accommodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can already apply. They are open.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zlatan8
You can already apply. They are open.

Posted from TSR Mobile

well they say something about choosing from a menu but I don't have this :/ I am a little confused :/
Reply 39
Original post by horse.jojo
well they say something about choosing from a menu but I don't have this :/ I am a little confused :/

You can watch on the website all the accommodations, then you will need to choose maximum 5 preferences and then create an account for the application on the University Website.

Latest

Trending

Trending