The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Hi i was wondering if someone could give me views about if Southampton would accept my application.I finished year 13 this year and exams and in my AS i got AABU so i dropped the U. I am thinking of applying for Business/International Management + spanish which is an AAB course and i think i will achieve in my a levels BBB with each of them close to the grade boundary 5-10 ums. I was wondering if i went on gap year to spain for 6 months to try and improve my speaking and work there which is related to what i want to study got predicted grades AAB from my former teachers and resat 2-3 A2 modules in my gap year if i would get accepted by these universities.Many Thanks
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
I've applied to Southampton's Marketing course and recieved a conditional offer of ABB (A slightly lower boundry than normal due to some of the voluntry work i'm involved in). I'm pretty sure i'll come out of this year with an A*BB or A*BC, you think they'll still accept me if i do get that latter (A*BC) or would they not be willing to becuase they already dropped the boundaries a bit?

Also, whilst i'm pretty into the Advertising and Marketing scene (like reading and listening to business blogs, magazines and podcasts) I've never actually done anything business related before; the business teacher at my school was lazy AF so I avoided it like the plague. Can anyone recommend any books or videos or anything that might help? Thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 62
I have a conditional offer for MSc Public Health but I have met the conditions of the offer. I have applied for accommodation, will I hear back about accommodation earlier than mid-august as I have already got a definite place on the course?
Hi, I'm applying for 2017 entry to study Aeronautics and Astronautics. The government has changed the A level system this year as you know and I'm just wondering how much AS results will impact my application? A few of the exams didn't go as well as I would have expected this year especially physics, although I will be retaking the modules that didn't go to plan along with my A2 exams next year. Thanks, Alex.
Original post by LK16
I have a conditional offer for MSc Public Health but I have met the conditions of the offer. I have applied for accommodation, will I hear back about accommodation earlier than mid-august as I have already got a definite place on the course?

Hi - all accommodation offers are made between mid-August and early September, as this gives our Halls team time to allocate rooms for all new students that are based on their individual needs and preferences.

Original post by MMMMM22
Hi i was wondering if someone could give me views about if Southampton would accept my application.I finished year 13 this year and exams and in my AS i got AABU so i dropped the U. I am thinking of applying for Business/International Management + spanish which is an AAB course and i think i will achieve in my a levels BBB with each of them close to the grade boundary 5-10 ums. I was wondering if i went on gap year to spain for 6 months to try and improve my speaking and work there which is related to what i want to study got predicted grades AAB from my former teachers and resat 2-3 A2 modules in my gap year if i would get accepted by these universities.Many Thanks

Original post by Dorsal Fin
I've applied to Southampton's Marketing course and recieved a conditional offer of ABB (A slightly lower boundry than normal due to some of the voluntry work i'm involved in). I'm pretty sure i'll come out of this year with an A*BB or A*BC, you think they'll still accept me if i do get that latter (A*BC) or would they not be willing to becuase they already dropped the boundaries a bit?
Also, whilst i'm pretty into the Advertising and Marketing scene (like reading and listening to business blogs, magazines and podcasts) I've never actually done anything business related before; the business teacher at my school was lazy AF so I avoided it like the plague. Can anyone recommend any books or videos or anything that might help? Thanks!

Original post by ablackburn
Hi, I'm applying for 2017 entry to study Aeronautics and Astronautics. The government has changed the A level system this year as you know and I'm just wondering how much AS results will impact my application? A few of the exams didn't go as well as I would have expected this year especially physics, although I will be retaking the modules that didn't go to plan along with my A2 exams next year. Thanks, Alex.

Hi - your individual faculties can discuss these finer points with you, as we are unable to discuss individual cases in a public forum. Please visit our website and search for your course to find contact details for your faculty: http://www.southampton.ac.uk/.

We hope this helps.
They say Mechanical Engineering Beng requires an A*AA. Would they give me a conditional offer for AAA?
Original post by lulau98
I need to provide an organisation name for DBS checks, it doesn't say it on the website, and apparantely Southampton University isn't the organisation name... I'm so confused. I emailed and all I got was a copy and paste of the page on the website. Not helpful.

The page was okay, it was the DBS who were being unhelpful. Hopefull we've sorted this in your thread.
Hello, I have been accepted to study at Southampton in September on Ucas Track.
How long does it take to recieve a 'welcome email'?

Thank You :smile:
Original post by Lauraaa129
Hello, I have been accepted to study at Southampton in September on Ucas Track.
How long does it take to recieve a 'welcome email'?

Thank You :smile:

Might be a little while as they're working on admissions today. Give it a week or 2.
Original post by Neostigmine
Might be a little while as they're working on admissions today. Give it a week or 2.

Okay, thank you!
Reply 70
Hi. I was wondering if there is any chance of getting invited to an interview if I apply for Medicine with foundation year for 2017 entry with grades BBC?
Original post by marii_
Hi. I was wondering if there is any chance of getting invited to an interview if I apply for Medicine with foundation year for 2017 entry with grades BBC?

The BM6 programme entry requirements are BBC so absolutely!

I'm on the course (in final year) so let me know if you have any questions.
Original post by marii_

Interviews are based on personal statement which is marked on the non-academic entry requirements ( check the website ).

Having BBC won't mean you're disadvantaged other those applying with higher grades either. As long as you meet the minimum, everyone is considered equally.
Reply 73
Original post by Neostigmine
Interviews are based on personal statement which is marked on the non-academic entry requirements ( check the website ).

Having BBC won't mean you're disadvantaged other those applying with higher grades either. As long as you meet the minimum, everyone is considered equally.

Really? This is making me so hopeful. I want to take a gap year and try and apply for medicine with foundation year at Southampton (among some other universities that has similar requirements) and I need to know that I do actually have a chance.
Original post by marii_
Really? This is making me so hopeful. I want to take a gap year and try and apply for medicine with foundation year at Southampton (among some other universities that has similar requirements) and I need to know that I do actually have a chance.

You absolutely have a chance. Totally.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3927731
Hi,
I received an offer for Maths with Computer Science in Clearing today, but looking at the course content for the Computer Science only programme, the latter appeals to me considerably more. How likely is it that I'll be able to switch to the programme of my choice once my offer is confirmed officially through UCAS?
I'm also a little worried because I was told to inform my university of my decision by tonight but the hotline and admissions department seem to be closed. I was made a verbal offer and they took down my UCAS number but I haven't received any emails from Southampton.
What should I do?
Reply 76
What date would I need to be at the university? and when do the courses start?
Original post by Susan______1
Hi,
I received an offer for Maths with Computer Science in Clearing today, but looking at the course content for the Computer Science only programme, the latter appeals to me considerably more. How likely is it that I'll be able to switch to the programme of my choice once my offer is confirmed officially through UCAS?
I'm also a little worried because I was told to inform my university of my decision by tonight but the hotline and admissions department seem to be closed. I was made a verbal offer and they took down my UCAS number but I haven't received any emails from Southampton.
What should I do?

Contact them before they put it on clearing and you accept it rather than tying to change it after.
They might not have put it on yet. Call first thing.

Original post by lulau98
What date would I need to be at the university? and when do the courses start?

Go on the website for your course. It should be on there. otherwise google "southampton university term dates 2016/17".
Reply 78
Once I have my offer confirmed on UCAS do I have to do anything else? All of my friends have had welcome letters/ accommodation allocations (from other universities), but I haven't received a welcome email or anything similar from Southampton. Have other people?
Reply 79
Original post by annaj97
Once I have my offer confirmed on UCAS do I have to do anything else? All of my friends have had welcome letters/ accommodation allocations (from other universities), but I haven't received a welcome email or anything similar from Southampton. Have other people?

I accepted my offer from Southampton for clearing this morning for chemistry and I haven't got an email either yet.

Latest

Trending

Trending