The Student Room Group

Is it worth dropping an AS level already?

Hello everyone!

I am currently studying AS Level Computing, Physics, Maths and History. Today I had a meeting with my tutor where we discussed my predicted grades for the year and also my attitude, independent study and progress.

I got A's in my Maths and Computing at GCSE and B's in my Physics and History

Unfortunately, I am under performing in History, Physics and Maths. My independent study and progress are below what is expected of me. My target grades for all four subjects are Cs and I am currently predicted to get a C in my computing and Ds in everything else.

I want to go onto University and do a Computer Science degree, but no idea which university yet.

I have been thinking, and discussed it with my tutor, if I should drop History as to me it is the A level I took because it would look good, not because I needed to do it and it would be the one I would drop. I came here today because I am unsure on what to do.

I find that I have a lot of work to do but its mainly down to my work ethic, I let it pile up and then it feels a lot more stressed than it needs to.
Should I drop History this early on in my A level or , as my tutor said, see how I am doing around December/January?
Thanks in advance for any help, because I really want to make sure I am making the right decision. :smile:
if you think that doing four subjects will significantly affect your performance in your other subjects then it's definitely worth dropping one of them. History also has a huge workload so dropping it would free up loads of extra time to focus on your other subjects... hope this helps :smile:
If it's going to affect your ability to do well in your other subjects, drop it. If you can cope but don't want to do it for two years look at universities. If you want to go to one that uses UCAS points you could score a few with just AS History.
Reply 3
Lack of work ethic with respect to just History or generally? If just History, then probably drop it. If generally then you need to summon one from somewhere (dropping a subject wouldn't solve the problem).
Reply 4
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I am pretty sure I will be dropping History. It means I can focus on my other subjects and not have a pile of work to do from History. I can spend my time working on improving my other grades to get them higher and hopefully to a point where I can still get into a good university.

Thanks again :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest