The Student Room Group

Actuarial science or Maths

Hi there, Im having trouble deciding which course am i going to choose, actuarial science or mathematics.
If im taking actuarial science I would go for a year in an industry...but some people said that mathematics will be broader compared to actuarial science in finding a job is it true??
But if i had a maths degree, what career opportunities do i have??
Reply 1
Original post by Nick_Ng1998
Hi there, Im having trouble deciding which course am i going to choose, actuarial science or mathematics.
If im taking actuarial science I would go for a year in an industry...but some people said that mathematics will be broader compared to actuarial science in finding a job is it true??
But if i had a maths degree, what career opportunities do i have??

Maths is far more broader, and many Maths courses are accredited by the actuary board (you can still get an exemption from sitting the actuary exam if you choose the relevant Stats modules during your degree, that is if your course is not accredited).

Go here and choose 'school of Mathematics and Statistics' and then choose 'bsc Maths' to see what type of jobs that Sheffield graduates get. In general you can pretty much apply for any job with a Maths degree (you gain a lot of transferable skills from the degree itself).
Reply 2
Original post by kkboyk
Maths is far more broader, and many Maths courses are accredited by the actuary board (you can still get an exemption from sitting the actuary exam if you choose the relevant Stats modules during your degree, that is if your course is not accredited).

Go here and choose 'school of Mathematics and Statistics' and then choose 'bsc Maths' to see what type of jobs that Sheffield graduates get. In general you can pretty much apply for any job with a Maths degree (you gain a lot of transferable skills from the degree itself).

If I choose actuarial science , is it true I could only be an actuary after I had graduated or are there any careers except being an actuary ?
Reply 3
Original post by Nick_Ng1998
If I choose actuarial science , is it true I could only be an actuary after I had graduated or are there any careers except being an actuary ?

No, its the same with every other course (e.g. someone with a History degree can become an accountany provided they get lots of relevant work experience, and pass the accountant test).

Quick Reply

Latest