The Student Room Group

Schools given new powers over unruly pupils

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/6515077.stm

A long, long overdue Act giving new powers to teachers.

"Part 7 Behaviour, Discipline and Exclusion
Though Ofsted tells us that behaviour is good in most schools most of the time, we have made tackling bad behaviour a major priority, providing schools with unprecedented powers, training and resources. Part 7 of the Act takes this further and gives us the legislative framework we need, implementing and building on some of the key recommendations of the recent Steer Report.
Sections 88 and 89 require schools to have a behaviour policy.
Sections 90 and 91 provide a new statutory power to discipline, which will give all staff in lawful charge of pupils the power to discipline pupils for inappropriate behaviour or for not following instructions. This will provide greater clarity for schools, pupils and parents on the extent of school staff’s power to discipline pupils, on and off school premises.
Section 93 re-enacts provisions around the use of force. Section 165 (in Part 9 of the Act) extends this to apply to Further Education institutions. Section 92 replaces existing provisions on detention with new powers giving schools greater scope and flexibility to employ this sanction. Section 94 provides a defence for school staff in confiscating inappropriate items.
Sections 97, 98 and 99 extend parenting contracts and orders so that they can be used more widely to ensure that parents take proper responsibility for their children's behaviour at school. We are bringing forward the availability of parenting contracts so that they can be used as an earlier intervention, well before the pupil has been excluded. We are enabling parenting orders to be used where the pupil has seriously misbehaved (regardless of whether or not they have been excluded). In addition, schools are being empowered to make their own applications for parenting orders."
Reply 1
this isn't going to work.

surely teachers could already confiscate mobile phones? they did at my school.

"Teachers will be able to discipline pupils outside school too - if they see children behaving badly on public transport, for instance."

wtf? this isn't going to work.
Reply 2
I don't see much of a difference...
Reply 3
Thud
this isn't going to work.

surely teachers could already confiscate mobile phones? they did at my school.

"Teachers will be able to discipline pupils outside school too - if they see children behaving badly on public transport, for instance."

wtf? this isn't going to work.

Since the actions have the full countenance of the Law behind them, there is every reason to believe it will work.

Whilst a child is in school uniform whether going to school or coming home, they are responsible for their own behaviour that reflects badly upon their school and impacts on the effects of that behaviour on others.

I've added some more information taken from the relevant Education and Inspection Act, 2006 for your perusal.

It's all enshrined in law, and as I said before, it's long overdue.
Reply 4
Sithius
I don't see much of a difference...

If you came from a school that maintained high disciplinary standards you will not see much difference.

However, the big difference is that these disciplinary standards will now be the norm because of the Law.

By the way, did any of you know that school governors can impose monetary fines on parents who take their children out of school for more than 10 days in any one school year?
Reply 5
yawn
Since the actions have the full countenance of the Law behind them, there is every reason to believe it will work.

Whilst a child is in school uniform whether going to school or coming home, they are responsible for their own behaviour that reflects badly upon their school and impacts on the effects of that behaviour on others.

I've added some more information taken from the relevant Education and Inspection Act, 2006 for your perusal.

It's all enshrined in law, and as I said before, it's long overdue.

that happens at the moment doesn't it? at my school some guys got in massive trouble for telling racist jokes on the bus on the way home in their uniform. you don't need legislation to punish people for that.

it will lead to a load of "was excessive force used" cases being brought against teachers.

firstly, the majority of women teachers are not gonna jump in and split up two pupils fighting over the age of about 15/16 because they could get hurt.

secondly a teacher will still be stronger than most pupils (not in the older years) and could easily use excessive force accidentally whilst splitting people up or whatever.
Reply 6
Anything less than a good paddling on the bottom isn't going to work.
Reply 7
Thud
that happens at the moment doesn't it? at my school some guys got in massive trouble for telling racist jokes on the bus on the way home in their uniform. you don't need legislation to punish people for that.

it will lead to a load of "was excessive force used" cases being brought against teachers.

firstly, the majority of women teachers are not gonna jump in and split up two pupils fighting over the age of about 15/16 because they could get hurt.

secondly a teacher will still be stronger than most pupils (not in the older years) and could easily use excessive force accidentally whilst splitting people up or whatever.

I think that the main thing that comes from this legislation is protection for the teachers from any threat of litigious action funded by the taxpayer by way of legal aid.

Hopefully we will no longer hear of cases where students can use physical force against an adult with impunity...and society can extract justice from belligerent, disrespectful school students by action against inadequate and lazy parents.
Reply 8
yawn
I think that the main thing that comes from this legislation is protection for the teachers from any threat of litigious action funded by the taxpayer by way of legal aid.

Hopefully we will no longer hear of cases where students can use physical force against an adult with impunity...and society can extract justice from belligerent, disrespectful school students by action against inadequate and lazy parents.

a teacher will only be allowed to use "reasonable force", different people have very different ideas of what "reasonable force" entails because of this we'll see a load of law suits over whether actions were reasonable or not. Kids will exaggerate what teachers did to them.

If I was a teacher i wouldn't touch a kid whether backed by this legislation or not because it's far too easy for the kid to exaggerate it, or to use too much force or whatever.

rather than all these stupid "did you fall over on the street because you was too fat to see over your belly where your feet was walking and would you like to sue for millions" adverts on tv, we will see a bunch of "was your kid attacked by a teacher? did the teacher use excessive force? call now for a no win no fee service to seek compensation".
Reply 9
Thud
a teacher will only be allowed to use "reasonable force", different people have very different ideas of what "reasonable force" entails because of this we'll see a load of law suits over whether actions were reasonable or not. Kids will exaggerate what teachers did to them.

If I was a teacher i wouldn't touch a kid whether backed by this legislation or not because it's far too easy for the kid to exaggerate it, or to use too much force or whatever.

rather than all these stupid "did you fall over on the street because you was too fat to see over your belly where your feet was walking and would you like to sue for millions" adverts on tv, we will see a bunch of "was your kid attacked by a teacher? did the teacher use excessive force? call now for a no win no fee service to seek compensation".

The use of 'reasonable force' has always been a part of our law.

This new legislation enforces the powers of teachers to use reasonable force and passes the responsibility of proof that reasonable force has been abused onto the litigant.

Thud, this Act is not solely restricted to cases of forceful application of rules, but rather adherence to discipline which can only be for the good considering the break down of law and order in this country.

Do you not agree? :confused:
Reply 10
yawn
The use of 'reasonable force' has always been a part of our law.

This new legislation enforces the powers of teachers to use reasonable force and passes the responsibility of proof that reasonable force has been abused onto the litigant.

Thud, this Act is not solely restricted to cases of forceful application of rules, but rather adherence to discipline which can only be for the good considering the break down of law and order in this country.

Do you not agree? :confused:

I don't think it will work that's all.

with the compensation culture thang we've got going here, it won't work. Teachers will be getting imprisoned for mumsiekin's precious getting hurt in a playground fight.

there are much better ways to combat the increasing crime/arrogance levels in these kids than reverting to giving teachers physical power. what's next? bringing back the cane?
Reply 11
Thud

with the compensation culture thang we've got going here, it won't work. Teachers will be getting imprisoned for mumsiekin's precious getting hurt in a playground fight.

there are much better ways to combat the increasing crime/arrogance levels in these kids than reverting to giving teachers physical power. what's next? bringing back the cane?

I believe it will work since the legislation is flying in the face of the compensation culture and knocking it back into oblivion.

The best way to combat the negative aspects of these kids behaviour is to go right back to basics...starting with poor parenting. That is where the blame fundamentally lies.
Thud

The thrust of what you're saying is that this legislation is too "revolutionary" given the circumstances of our sue-culture society, and the new powers invested in teachers will just leave them liable to lawsuits if they choose to use them. Would you support something that was less extreme, but inkeeping with the same principle, ie slowly giving teachers back their former powers within limits through a series of legislation?
Reply 13
i would just get rid of all these complicated rules and regulations, it must be a nightmare of teachers to have read all this stuff. If they want to punish/interrogate/physically discipline a child they have my full backing.

Latest

Trending

Trending